WWE 2K16 on PC is on sale $14.99 Now until July 4th

Apost Khan

That's a great deal. Everybody that hasn't should go and buy it while the deal lasts so you can enjoy the best version of the game and all the community's great mods and modding tools to their fullest. :)

Edited by Cave Waverider
  • Like 1

That's a great deal. Everybody that hasn't should go and buy it while the deal lasts so you can enjoy the best version of the game and all the community's great mods and modding tools to their fullest. :)

Lol, isn't the PC version broken as fuck? I know the console versions are far from perfect, and modding gives the PC version considerable upside. But I've read, and heard nothing but problems with the PC version since release, and not a single remotely favourable comparison besides this one. To an extent I agree with the sentiment, at the very least it should be the best version of the game, but it's really just a broken port of a game that already had far too many faults to begin with.

• Like 1

Here are some of the technical problems I've experienced on PC:

-No 21:9 ultra widescreen support (despite 21:9 being supported natively in WWE 2K15)

-Entrance animations are capped at 30FPS

-Entrance music glitches (plays the same track twice with a 1-2 second overlap, doesn't end at the start of the match, sometimes doesn't play at all)

-Unexplained crashing to desktop

-Ongoing issues with "Save File/Data Corruption"

-No 21:9 ultra widescreen support (despite 21:9 being supported natively in WWE 2K15)

-Entrance music glitches (plays the same track twice with a 1-2 second overlap, doesn't end at the start of the match, sometimes doesn't play at all)

those last two are what have kept me from getting it for pc lol

- Have you tried forcing your 21:9 resolution via the config.ini file? Look at the 2k15 config.ini file and try to copy some of the settings to the 2k16 one there, perhaps that will work, but I'm not sure.

- 30 FPS for entrances is the same in all versions. It is due to cloth physics being synchronized to a certain framerate (30 FPS in this case, due to console limits). Alas, many console ports have the same limitations (Mortal Kombat X comes to mind wher fatalities, brutalities pre- and post- match engine cutscenes are forced to 30 FPS), as do some PC only games. It's a bad programming form, but many devs do it. Still annoying, though. Also, tron videos run at the same framerate as the game, thus it's capped to their framerate, too.

- The entrance music glitches with advanced entrances are annoying and it's one of the things fixed on the console versions which are still plagueing the PC version. The workaround is to not use advanced entrances or make sure multiple wrestlers with advanced entrances don't enter one after the other with a non-advanced entrance wrestler in between - it's best that the first wrestler with advanced entrance enters first, too.

-
I personally haven't experienced a single crash on the four PCs I play the game on frequently that wasn't caused by me messing with the memory when trying various things on my part since Update 1.01 (before Update 1.01 I had frequent crashes, especially during entrance pyros - so make sure to let Steam patch the game to the latest version!). None during regular gameplay for sure. My PCs are thoroughly tested for stability, though. And unlike the Xbox One version which still suffers from them (not sure about PS4 one, I don't have it and I only played it once at a teammate's place which I don't remember much), the pyro crashes during entrances have been fixed on the PC version in 1.01.  :p
One important thing if you want to use mods with 1.01 is to install the Crash Fix with Mods (there is a button in the Data Editor for WWE 2k16 to install the fix with an easy to use installer, or you can check out the stickied thread in the PC Modding forum on how to apply it manually).

- I've experienced Save corruption even on Xbox One when the game crashed or Community creations download failed, so it isn't PC specific, although it can happen more frequently if you have an unstable system, try to download a CAW from Community Creations that is really a mod, etc..

Thus the game is pretty much similarly broken on the PC as it is on the Xbox One (and probably any current-generation consoles). That said, it's still loads of fun and due to the mods the PC version is certainly the most enjoyable I've played. And for the sale price it's definitely a good pickup in my book.

Edited by Cave Waverider
  • Like 2

- Have you tried forcing your 21:9 resolution via the config.ini file? Look at the 2k15 config.ini file and try to copy some of the settings to the 2k16 one there, perhaps that will work, but I'm not sure.

- 30 FPS for entrances is the same in all versions. It is due to cloth physics being synchronized to a certain framerate (30 FPS in this case, due to console limits). Alas, many console ports have the same limitations (Mortal Kombat X comes to mind wher fatalities, brutalities pre- and post- match engine cutscenes are forced to 30 FPS), as do some PC only games. It's a bad programming form, but many devs do it. Still annoying, though. Also, tron videos run at the same framerate as the game, thus it's capped to their framerate, too.

- The entrance music glitches with advanced entrances are annoying and it's one of the things fixed on the console versions which are still plagueing the PC version. The workaround is to not use advanced entrances or make sure multiple wrestlers with advanced entrances don't enter one after the other with a non-advanced entrance wrestler in between - it's best that the first wrestler with advanced entrance enters first, too.

-
I personally haven't had a single crash that wasn't caused by me messing with the memory when trying various things on my part since Update 1.01. None during regular gameplay for sure. My PC is thoroughly tested for stability, though.

- I've experienced Save corruption even on Xbox One when the game crashed or Community creations download failed, so it isn't PC specific.

And unlike the Xbox One version which still suffers from them (not sure about PS4 one, I don't have it and I only played it once at a teammate's place which I don't remember much)
, the pyro crashes during entrances have been fixed on the PC version in 1.01.  :p

Thus the game is pretty much similarly broken on the PC as it is on the Xbox One (and probably any current-generation consoles). That said, it's still loads of fun and due to the mods the PC version is certainly the most enjoyable I've played. And for the sale price it's definitely a good pickup in my book.

i've never had a crash with pyro but i have heard and seen it happen with the ps4 versions (i'm on ps4)

I experienced the "pyro crashing" bug the first couple of times I played but it seems like that problem was fixed with the patch.

That's an interesting bit of information regarding entrances. Thanks for sharing, @Cave Waverider:) Maybe it's simply a matter of my television's "motion smoothing technology" at work (aka: creating "The Soap Opera Effect"), but I swear on everything that's holy the entrance animations on my Xbox One seem like they're running at 60FPS. They really look great and animate even better (the fluidity making the animations seem borderline life-like, in some cases).

When running the game on my PC, entrances are a totally different story. In the moments before the actual entrances begin, the game seems to run at a solid 60FPS. Once the actual entrance animations begin, the frame rate cuts in half. However, during the part where the camera cuts back to the announce team and then briefly pans the first wrestler in the ring, the frame rate throughout this portion is locked at 60FPS. But as soon as the next entrance animation begins, the frame rate sinks right back down again to 30FPS. 

My question is this: If the intention was to cap entrances at 30FPS, why not lock the entire sequence at 30FPSThe intermittent fluctuation in frame rates, as minor as it may seem to some, is pretty jarring to me, extremely noticeable and quite annoying.

Edited by Ticaliano

I experienced the "pyro crashing" bug the first couple of times I played but it seems like that problem was fixed with the patch.

That's an interesting bit of information regarding entrances. Thanks for sharing, @Cave Waverider:) Maybe it's simply a matter of my television's "motion smoothing technology" at work (aka: creating "The Soap Opera Effect"), but I swear on everything that's holy the entrance animations on my Xbox One seem like they're running at 60FPS. They really look great and animate even better (the fluidity making the animations seem borderline life-like, in some cases).

When running the game on my PC, entrances are a totally different story. In the moments before the actual entrances begin, the game seems to run at a solid 60FPS. Once the actual entrance animations begin, the frame rate cuts in half. However, during the part where the camera cuts back to the announce team and then briefly pans the first wrestler in the ring, the frame rate throughout this portion is locked at 60FPS. But as soon as the next entrance animation begins, the frame rate sinks right back down again to 30FPS. 

My question is this: If the intention was to cap entrances at 30FPS, why not lock the entire sequence at 30FPSThe intermittent fluctuation in frame rates, as minor as it may seem to some, is pretty jarring to me, extremely noticeable and quite annoying.

Not sure why they did that. I guess it's because the entrance attires are unloaded at this point and the advanced entrance lighting effects get disabled, so they felt comfortable that the consoles would be able to run it at 60 FPS at that point. But yeah, on my TV I definitely notice the entrances being 30FPS or lower on Xbox One, too (the more demanding ones in more demanding arenas stutter and likely run even slower, like Ultimate Warrior's in the Extreme Rules arena, for example). But I have all the motion smoothing technologies disabled when gaming.

Edited by Cave Waverider

I think you notice it more on PC because you expect it to run at 60+, so when it dips to anything less it is jarring. When I'm playing on console I expect everything to struggle to maintain even 30 fps so if it runs in a playable state I am pleasantly surprised. Also consoles run the game at 720p up-scaled to 1080p with heavy motion blur, and fxaa, so it's like everything is coated in Vaseline so it looks smoother because you are being tricked by everything being soft and hazy. Where as on PC, you're likely playing at 1080p or higher, with 8xMSAA, no motion blur and maxed out textures, so every little imperfection is magnified. I ended up biting the bullet and buying a freesync monitor, now everything is butter smooth no matter what. It's not until I go to edit the videos for youtube that I notice how jank some of the entrances look. 

And as far as why to buy the game, even with its issues, if you want to use mods you really need the retail version and I think $15 is a sold asking price. $50 was def way too much with the bugs. But if you want mods, all the tools are built for the Steam version. 

Edited by Apost Khan
  • Like 1

^Yea I definitely agree with that. If you want modding it's definitely a good deal. My only argument was that in this particular instance I'm not sure I'd say the PC version is superior to the console version when you factor in all the bugs that come with it. 

Everytime I open 2K16 after not having used it for a few days, it takes literally at least 5 minutes to open. I always make sure to open it way before I'm actually planning to use it because it consistently takes that long every time.

I think you notice it more on PC because you expect it to run at 60+, so when it dips to anything less it is jarring. When I'm playing on console I expect everything to struggle to maintain even 30 fps so if it runs in a playable state I am pleasantly surprised. Also consoles run the game at 720p up-scaled to 1080p with heavy motion blur, and fxaa, so it's like everything is coated in Vaseline so it looks smoother because you are being tricked by everything being soft and hazy. Where as on PC, you're likely playing at 1080p or higher, with 8xMSAA, no motion blur and maxed out textures, so every little imperfection is magnified. I ended up biting the bullet and buying a freesync monitor, now everything is butter smooth no matter what. It's not until I go to edit the videos for youtube that I notice how jank some of the entrances look. 

And as far as why to buy the game, even with its issues, if you want to use mods you really need the retail version and I think $15 is a sold asking price. $50 was def way too much with the bugs. But if you want mods, all the tools are built for the Steam version.

Yeah, at $15.00, I wouldn't have too many complaints. I paid full price for the PC version, and it's really disheartening to see how Yukes, VC and 2K seemingly care so little about the integrity of their product, which is a shame because by rights, the PC version should be the most technically superior version of the SKU.

Getting back on topic, I play with some pretty high resolutions on PC: 3440x1440, 60Hz by default, but sometimes I'll bump the resolution all the way up to 6880x2880, 60Hz via nVidia DSR with all of the eye candy completely maxxed out.

My monitor is a 34" ultrawide beast, it's G-Sync enabled, and it supports refresh rates up to 100Hz:

This monitor is really something to behold, and similar to your FreeSync experience, @Apost, the silky-smooth glory of playing games at 100Hz is just glorious, especially so when you're sitting up close and personal. 😎

Yeah, at $15.00, I wouldn't have too many complaints. I paid full price for the PC version, and it's really disheartening to see how Yukes, VC and 2K seemingly care so little about the integrity of their product, which is a shame because by rights, the PC version should be the most technically superior version of the SKU.

Getting back on topic, I play with some pretty high resolutions on PC: 3440x1440, 60Hz by default, but sometimes I'll bump the resolution all the way up to 6880x2880, 60Hz via nVidia DSR with all of the eye candy completely maxxed out.

My monitor is a 34" ultrawide beast, it's G-Sync enabled, and it supports refresh rates up to 100Hz:

This monitor is really something to behold, and similar to your FreeSync experience, @Apost, the silky-smooth glory of playing games at 100Hz is just glorious, especially so when you're sitting up close and personal. 😎

Well, that pretty much sums up Yukes. I don't think they've ever really cared about the quality of what they make, just the profit, Rumble Roses is a testament to that fact.

And damn! What are your specs? I can't go that high with resolutions, I run all AMD, I think my computer would burst into flames:D. Hopefully crossfire 480's solve that heat issue!

Edited by Apost Khan

Hahaha, yeah, @Apost Khan, they're pretty decent specs. :p 

-Intel Core i7 6700k@4.5Ghz

-32GB DDR4 3200Mhz

-Samsung 500GB 950 Pro M.2 Drive

-Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme Edition

-Asus Maximus VIII Hero

Gonna hold off on GTX 1080 and wait until GTX 1080Ti comes out, which will probably be sometime next spring.

Edited by Ticaliano

i did have a problem with my ps4 game crashing when i tried to preview the wyatt fam entrance when i added braun in the place of harper.

-32GB DDR4 3200Mhz

-Asus Maximus VIII Hero

Gonna hold off on GTX 1080 and wait until GTX 1080Ti comes out, which will probably be sometime next spring.

I've been kicking around the the idea of getting a pci ssd like that, is it really worth the upgrade from a sata 3 ssd?

Haven't been able to experience the magic that is WWE 2K16 on my laptop, simply because I can't even play it. It's a great deal though, but it's nothing if I can't use it. Can't even get anywhere farther than the black screen after opening it up.

I'll just settle for the console version.

Edited by customracer209
Needed to add something to my comment

They've done a great job optimizing it for pc this year.  2k15 lagged for me even on the lowest settings.  But 2k16 runs really smooth for me on medium settings.  Great, great game. 

Even if you don't currently have a pc that would run it,  you should still go ahead and spend the fifteen bucks to have access to a legit, patched copy and sometime in the near future be able to run it with all of the glorious mods being made each day.  Don't let this sale pass you by. 

-32GB DDR4 3200Mhz

-Asus Maximus VIII Hero

I've been kicking around the the idea of getting a pci ssd like that, is it really worth the upgrade from a sata 3 ssd?

In some ways I believe it is better. That said, if you already have a decent SATA III SSD (a drive with read and write speeds upwards of ~500MB/s) I think you may be pretty hard pressed to notice much of a tangible difference in real world performance. Still, if your next platform winds up supporting the M.2 and/or U.2 interface, I would certainly suggest picking up a PCI Express SSD. I mean just for the mere fact that you can pop these drives right into the heart of your motherboard without the need of SATA or power cables is wonderful in and of itself. :p

That's literally all there is to installation. Very similar to popping in a RAM DIMM. 

So, i decided to buy this, but when I try to copy my save game from the pirated version it says it's corrupted. And the CC on the PC are awful, there's just a few CAWS and even less attires, and now I'm planing to refund the game and stick with the pirated version, unless I can get the save game working again. Does anybody know a way to do that?

There are tutorials in the pc modding section that might help you with a corrupted save.  I have never used it because I haven't had save corruption, but many others reported success.