X-REY/3DS modding tutorials?

4 Life

So I've done a bit of reading already on this stuff but I'm definitely not clued up yet, just tryna get all the info I can before I can dive in. Does anyone know of any tutorials for making mods with the titled tools that they can link me to? I've learned a lot about how to mod this game over the last month but I really wanna take that next step and start modding characters and attires.

Cheers guys!

Knowing your taste in roster additions I'm happy to hear this :D

So far this video from Prinsto has been by far the most helpful resource for me as a starter:

It's made for 2k15 (and specifically for bringing in heads from older models) but almost all of it applies to 2k16 as well.  Most importantly, he goes through the steps from start to finish and mentions all the settings that you need to maintain along the way.  I'd watch it once or twice all the way through and then use it as a reference.

_____

Tekken57's text tutorial explains doing a basic texture alt attire really well:

http://sf4mods.blogspot.com/2015/05/basic-alt-attires-tutorial-for-pc.html

I would suggest for a first mod to do a texture edit.  In addition to being an awesome wrestler and the obvious wordplay benefits, Hennig really was the perfect first mod for me since I was able to get results with a basic change and build up to more complicated ones.  The first few attires were just texture recolors, then some texture designing, then adding one 3d shirt object, and finally adding multiple 3d objects for the West Texas Rednecks attire.  

_____

This tutorial from AlcLegacy is great too because its more specific to moving parts from one character to another (which is pretty much the basis for doing mods more elaborate than texture edits):

_____

Hopefully some more people will chime in with other resources.  I'm sure there are a lot out there that i haven't found yet but would love to check out too.

Good luck!

...and speaking of things I don't know how to do...if anyone knows how to embed a YouTube video on this site without stretching it to full screen let me know :)

Edited by tomwearsglasses
  • Like 1

@tomwearsglasses Exactly the sort of stuff I was looking for man thanks, epic post! Adding parts is something that I was interested in in particular. I should have added as well actually that I've already done a bit of texture modding, there was the Red & Black Sting I did which was a basic-of-the-basic recolour job which I feel I could definitely improve on now. I've also got Nash and Syxx attires basically done and looking decent but now I need to learn how to add shirts and stuff because I need to give them entrance attires! It'd be awesome if we could also just make a CAW and then export it as a PAC, might even be possible somehow but obviously nobody knows currently.

Thanks a bunch bro!!

No idea how to resize videos on this forum either btw :wacko:

EDIT: Had a watch of that second video and that's exactly the sort of thing I'm currently after! Simple to follow, I know how to texture mod on a basic level so it was just adding objects that I wanna learn next which that video explains perfectly. Tonnes of mods or in-game characters atm that I wanna add my own attires to for my project so that'll keep me busy for now, then once I get good at that and I've done everything I need to do in terms of alt attires then if needs be I can start making some new characters somewhere down the line. That seems like the kind of video I can just have up on my laptop that I can follow along as I'm modding on my PC and just follow the video step by step. Nice share mate, thanks again :)

Edited by 4LifeBrother

I also wrote a basic tutorial on editing the models here: http://sf4mods.blogspot.co.za/2014/02/x-rey-how-to-edit-models.html

The tutorial is for the xbox 360 but the same applies to the pc version.

I'm having trouble importing the item into X-Rey after I've edited and exported it (keep getting different number of vertices error). I think I may be exporting it wrong but the images in your guide aren't displaying so I can't see if I'm going wrong :( All I'm doing to the top is reshaping it to fit the body.

Edited by 4LifeBrother

I also wrote a basic tutorial on editing the models here: http://sf4mods.blogspot.co.za/2014/02/x-rey-how-to-edit-models.html

I'm having trouble importing the item into X-Rey after I've edited and exported it. I think I may be exporting it wrong but the images in your guide aren't displaying so I can't see if I'm going wrong :(

Are They Looking Like Garbage Then I Can Help

• Like 1

I'm having trouble importing the item into X-Rey after I've edited and exported it. I think I may be exporting it wrong but the images in your guide aren't displaying so I can't see if I'm going wrong :(

I can't even get as far as to test them mate. I'm using Christian's entrance top on my X-Pac (Syxx attire) mod as an entrance top, I've got as far as extracting everything and opening the top in 3DS, reshaping it and then exporting it, but then I try and import it back into X-Rey and I get "Error, object must contain the same number of vertices".

I also tried to basically disable the top as per the video above by hex-editing the objectinfo file and replacing everything with 00's, then "inject smaller" into the top and inject the headerinfo - got an error on X-Rey. Filled the headerinfo with 00's as well and then it worked.

Then I followed the video and just thought screw it, I'll inject the top into the 4E22 file as per the video and see how it looks, but it never showed up - is 4E22 still the file to inject to or is there another procedure now??

GOD, this shit is frustrating me so much :lol

@tomwearsglasses @hovathagod32 any input here? It's all a trial and error process but I'm just banging my head against a brick wall atm :wacko::wacko:

Edited by 4LifeBrother

I can't even get as far as to test them mate. I'm using Christian's entrance top on my X-Pac (Syxx attire) mod as an entrance top, I've got as far as extracting everything and opening the top in 3DS, reshaping it and then exporting it, but then I try and import it back into X-Rey and I get "Error, object must contain the same number of vertices".

I also tried to basically disable the top as per the video above by hex-editing the objectinfo file and replacing everything with 00's, then "inject smaller" into the top and inject the headerinfo - got an error on X-Rey. Filled the headerinfo with 00's as well and then it worked.

Then I followed the video and just thought screw it, I'll inject the top into the 4E22 file as per the video and see how it looks, but it never showed up - is 4E22 still the file to inject to or is there another procedure now??

@tomwearsglasses @hovathagod32 any input here? It's all a trial and error process but I'm just banging my head against a brick wall atm :wacko::wacko:

bro you wil have to add new slots and there is 3ds setting also try in blender to fit it on x pac.pm me i will assit you.

Edited by I CAN I WILL
  • Like 1

bro you wil have to add new slots and there is 3ds setting also try in blender to fit it on x pacpm me i will assiat you

Thanks man, what I'll do is see if I can download Blender and once that's done I'll shoot you a PM :)

don't do any of that stuff. Do your editing in blender. it's much easier to do. You don't inject into 4E22 anymore either. You get 001A.yobjs from hogan or the Rock and add it into a new pach. That way you can inject Christians top which would be a 0000.yobj into the 001A slot.

• Like 1

don't do any of that stuff. Do your editing in blender. it's much easier to do. You don't inject into 4E22 anymore either. You get 001A.yobjs from hogan or the Rock and add it into a new pach. That way you can inject Christians top which would be a 0000.yobj into the 001A slot.

Awesome :) I've got blender and I CAN I WILL helped me out with the plug-ins - I've imported some objects and they're showing up all black with Christian's top having a bit of orange outlining around it - all normal? Looks like it fits pretty well already tbh though it looks like the ribs might be clipping through. Totally clueless as to how to use blender btw haha, gonna have a search around for some tutorials.

Edited by 4LifeBrother

Make sure you don't select any of the optimize options on the export dialog. Also make sure you do not delete any verts. I'm not at my pc at moment so I can't take a screenshot of the options at the moment.

If you still have difficulties, tag me again in your reply and I'll post the settings tomorrow.

• Like 1

The important things to keep an eye on with Blender are to make sure that the vertex count doesn't change while your editing - and that none of the import/export settings mess with the format.

If you watch the first video I posted, he goes through the settings. I'll post some info I've collected when I get out of work tonight.

Also - get used to being confused and frustrated ;)

Everything I've been able to get working so far has been the result of a lot of trial and error - asking questions - and poking around through other peoples threads on the support board :) But if you stick with it the more problems you can figure out the better you understand it. Right now I feel like I barely know what I'm doing but slowly figuring it out.

• Like 1

The important things to keep an eye on with Blender are to make sure that the vertex count doesn't change while your editing - and that none of the import/export settings mess with the format.

If you watch the first video I posted, he goes through the settings. I'll post some info I've collected when I get out of work tonight.

Everything I've been able to get working so far has been the result of a lot of trial and error - asking questions - and poking around through other peoples threads on the support board :) But if you stick with it the more problems you can figure out the better you understand it. Right now I feel like I barely know what I'm doing but slowly figuring it out.

Oh yeah, I've well and truly accepted that modding this game comes with a LOT of trial and error :lol Well after talking with hova earlier I've learned a lot and managed to get the shirt working in game :D Literally the only problem I'm having now is getting the textures to work with the shirt. I injected the shirt into a new 001A yobj as per his instruction above which worked right off the bat in terms of the shirt actually appearing, but I dunno what's going on with the textures now. It's supposed to be an nWo black & white shirt and the textures are in the 000A file but I dunno whether it's just not appearing or it's getting scrambled all over the shirt because the shirt is black with loads of weird white shapes all over it. Should add that X-Pac already had a shirt which I made invisible but it's still in the files and I deleted that shirt's textures to replace them with my new shirt textures, may be some sort of conflict going on there?

Just wanna say a big thanks to you guys for helping me out btw, I've learned a lot today and all four of you have contributed to that in a major way :)

Edited by 4LifeBrother

@4LifeBrother

Blender is my favourite 3d program....it's much easier then other 3d programs

I'm getting the hang of it, I was getting so frustrated earlier but I'm hard on myself sometimes, it's my first day using it so I can't expect miracles :lol

• Like 1

Oh yeah, I've well and truly accepted that modding this game comes with a LOT of trial and error :lol Well after talking with hova earlier I've learned a lot and managed to get the shirt working in game :D Literally the only problem I'm having now is getting the textures to work with the shirt. I injected the shirt into a new 001A yobj as per his instruction above which worked right off the bat in terms of the shirt actually appearing, but I dunno what's going on with the textures now. It's supposed to be an nWo black & white shirt and the textures are in the 000A file but I dunno whether it's just not appearing or it's getting scrambled all over the shirt because the shirt is black with loads of weird white shapes all over it. Should add that X-Pac already had a shirt which I made invisible but it's still in the files and I deleted that shirt's textures to replace them with my new shirt textures, may be some sort of conflict going on there?

Just wanna say a big thanks to you guys for helping me out btw, I've learned a lot today and all four of you have contributed to that in a major way :)

Hmmm.  One possibility is that the edits you made to the model affect the way the texture maps onto the shirt.  I had a really hard time stretching models without affecting the textures.  For Hennig, I used Rollins or Owens' sleeveless shirt - and after resizing it to fit him it started stretching the textures horizontally.  I had to stretch them vertically in the image file to get them to look right in the game.

It could also be the dimensions of the texture files themselves.  What model did you take the new shirt from?  When I bring in an object, I usually also grab the textures that go along with it from that model and then edit those files.  Sometimes the name of the texture will change with the model (i.e. pants vs bottoms).  They also tend to match up better with the new object than the textures from the old (invisible) one.

Another thing I'll do sometimes is make a really drastic change to the color or draw lines on the texture and inject it.  Then when I look at the model in game I can see where on the model those changes show up and use it as a guide.

Hmmm.  One possibility is that the edits you made to the model affect the way the texture maps onto the shirt.  I had a really hard time stretching models without affecting the textures.  For Hennig, I used Rollins or Owens' sleeveless shirt - and after resizing it to fit him it started stretching the textures horizontally.  I had to stretch them vertically in the image file to get them to look right in the game.

It could also be the dimensions of the texture files themselves.  What model did you take the new shirt from?  When I bring in an object, I usually also grab the textures that go along with it from that model and then edit those files.  Sometimes the name of the texture will change with the model (i.e. pants vs bottoms).  They also tend to match up better with the new object than the textures from the old (invisible) one.

Another thing I'll do sometimes is make a really drastic change to the color or draw lines on the texture and inject it.  Then when I look at the model in game I can see where on the model those changes show up and use it as a guide.

I used Christian's entrance shirt to start with. Think I might go back to the drawing board though, tbh I was planning on using Owens' one originally but I decided not to, sorta wish I had now :lol Definitely some sort of texture problem going on atm, I deleted the top textures and injected the 000A and the shirt just went plain dark black, so getting rid of the textures got rid of all that weird crap all over it... but yeah, might just start fresh with Owens' one maybe tomorrow and see how I get on.

Edited by 4LifeBrother

I used Christian's entrance shirt to start with. Think I might go back to the drawing board though, tbh I was planning on using Owens' one originally but I decided not to, sorta wish I had now :lol Definitely some sort of texture problem going on atm, I deleted the top textures and injected the 000A and the shirt just went plain dark black, so getting rid of the textures got rid of all that weird crap all over it... but yeah, might just start fresh with Owens' one maybe tomorrow and see how I get on.

If the game can't match a texture to an object it just show plain dark black - so that means that at least it was connecting the texture.  The edits were probably stretching it in weird ways.

Firstly  make sure you have the correct texture for the t-shirt to appear i.e it must named corectly. Secondly install Xoliul shader into 3dsmax so that you can preview the texture on the model. In this way you can see what happens to the texture when you edit the model.

In some cases you may need to redo the uv's which controls the texture placement.

• Like 1

If the game can't match a texture to an object it just show plain dark black - so that means that at least it was connecting the texture.  The edits were probably stretching it in weird ways.

Yeah definitely just gonna start from scratch, just doesn't seem to be working tbh. From what I hear there are a lot of items that just aren't compatible with certain bodyshapes.

I dunno WTF is going on here... same thing is happening that happened with Christian's top. I'm trying Kevin Owen's now. Injected it without shaping and copied the textures just to make sure it was working in-game, it did indeed:

oj1obs.jpg

Then, I resized it in blender and injected it into the PACH file, then once again the textures are all screwed up:

r2m593.jpg

@tomwearsglasses  @hovathagod32  @I CAN I WILL Hvae you guys had anything like this? I have literally no idea where to start to fix this. Happened on two different tops now.

Edited by 4LifeBrother

I tried a bunch of different tops and nothing was working, every time I resize them even just a little the textures go haywire, hoping it's just an issue with X-Pac and the existing top causing problems.

SO... I did a work-around. Used Triple H's DX top, it fits pretty well but there was still some clipping... so I made the torso invisible to stop the clipped parts from being visible... there was still a bit of clipping around the clavicle area... so I opened the face textures and painted the offending parts the same colour as the shirt, problem (mostly) solved :D

There are still some TINY bits of clipping going on around the armpit/shoulder area but this is as good as I'm gonna get it I think, looks good for the most part:

jkwy3b.jpg

Just gotta modify the shirt texture now and I wanna make some more edits to the main attire, then hopefully soon I'll release my first proper attire mod :)

I dunno WTF is going on here... same thing is happening that happened with Christian's top. I'm trying Kevin Owen's now. Injected it without shaping and copied the textures just to make sure it was working in-game, it did indeed:

oj1obs.jpg

Then, I resized it in blender and injected it into the PACH file, then once again the textures are all screwed up:

r2m593.jpg

@tomwearsglasses  @hovathagod32  @I CAN I WILL Hvae you guys had anything like this? I have literally no idea where to start to fix this. Happened on two different tops now.

list your steps and what tools you used in blender. i've never had a texture issue like this even if the shirt freaked out