Help with creating unique .PAC

doctorhr2

Over the last two days I have been working on adapting Kane '11 into one of my own characters. I have him working in game with a new head and body/clothes textures, but ideally I'd like to have him as a separate character rather than overwriting Kane '11. My problems are two-fold:

1) How do I create a new .PAC file that the game will recognise and what information do I need in it? At the moment, the character in game is using a moveset from one of my CAWs. Can that be extracted?

2) How do I change his name from Kane? I have extracted the 0000 file in XPacker and changed Kane '11 to the name I want (same amount of characters) and injected it back into the 4000 file and then back into the Strings.pac, but it still doesn't change in game. I have tried to do it both with the game running and without. Same result. I'm obviously missing something. Can anyone point me to an obvious mistake or a tutorial? I have been Googling like crazy and I've found a tutorial on here, but still no joy.

Thanks in advance.

Essentially what you have is a moded pac file without a pofo or moveset and I have a tutorial for that.

And then for the string you kind of want to edit the pofo file to make all of the string references the same and then edit that one string. If you open the string.pac in X-Packer you can see what string slot you edited and match that up with the string references in the pofo.

Hopefully this helps a bit.

Okay, I think I have had some success. My guy is now in his own slot under bonus superstars. I tried to play a match, but as soon as I went to pick my opponent up off the canvas, my guy flopped to the floor like a spandex wearing jelly! 

I'll start small and try and get his name in the game before worrying about his apparent mid-match narcolepsy! 

Okay, I think I have had some success. My guy is now in his own slot under bonus superstars. I tried to play a match, but as soon as I went to pick my opponent up off the canvas, my guy flopped to the floor like a spandex wearing jelly! 

I'll start small and try and get his name in the game before worrying about his apparent mid-match narcolepsy! 

That is an issue with the Slot - ###.moveset probably some move missing from the file.  I would suggest copying a Slot - ###.moveset  from someone else because using the in game moveset creator may not fill in every single animation.

Like there is no option in the create a moveset in the way you pick someone up off the ground, so if you just copy a moveset in game that animation might be missing, so you need to copy a Slot - ###.moveset  first and then edit the moveset.

At least I think that's your issue and I hope you understand.

Okay, cracked the name thing. I was trawling through the forum and found someone had had the same problem, and I think it was yourself Pozzum who asked him if he had any back ups of the String.pac in his game folder. I had two! That bit now works. As for the falling over issue, I might try the tut again tomorrow when I'm more awake. I MAY have been using the wrong slot number. In the pac list I have, Baron Corbyn is 350 and not 349 as per the video... I may have ballsed up somewhere!

That makes sense about the movesets... I'll copy someone else's in. Is it easier to do it with Xpacker or even Caveman's Wrestler Information and Moveset Creator?

Edited by doctorhr2
Reply to comment

Okay, cracked the name thing. I was trawling through the forum and found someone had had the same problem, and I think it was yourself Pozzum who asked him if he had any back ups of the String.pac in his game folder. I had two! That bit now works. As for the falling over issue, I might try the tut again tomorrow when I'm more awake. I MAY have been using the wrong slot number. In the pac list I have, Baron Corbyn is 350 and not 349 as per the video... I may have ballsed up somewhere!

That makes sense about the movesets... I'll copy someone else's in. Is it easier to do it with Xpacker or even Caveman's Wrestler Information and Moveset Creator?

yeah I'd say it's easiest with X-Packer

I wouldn't be surprised if the slot moved since I made that tutorial I made it a while ago and had to reupload it. 

Pozzum, still having issues with changing the name in Cheat Engine... I've searched but I'm guessing your String Editing Tutorial is one of the deleted ones on your You Tube page? 

The issue I'm having specifically (at the moment) is that I can change his name in Xpacker by finding all instances of Kane'11 and typing over it. But then that changes Kane'11 to my character's name too. How do I get it to just overwrite the 'Kane'11' that is assigned to slot 350? Also, how do I find out what my character's name is in Hex format? I do apologise if these are really obvious questions.

Edited by doctorhr2

I have temporarily got around the problem by pasting my character over Jack Swagger, who irritates me for some reason, and I won't miss him from the game. What I don't understand is when you import a downloaded .pac of Goldberg for instance, whose name has been changed to put his into the game? 

Oh, okay. So the four digit hex numbers that you referenced in the Baron Corbyn tut was pointing to where the name was in the String.pac. Thanks, Pozzum, I get it now. I just need to work out how to link the location in the String.pac to the hex numbers. 

Thanks Pozzum. I think I understand the how but not the why. I'm trying to figure it out by looking at the Rock's info. I know the hex for his name location is 044C but in file 0000 in the Strings.pac his name is 5448 4520 524F 434B. I understand that is the code to create his name, but I can't see where the 044C comes from to tell the game where to look for the location of his name. It's been years since I messed around with hex, we're talking No Mercy on the N64; so I've forgotten most of what I knew. 

So pofo files have actually a few names for stars.  Like name, sort name, & Nickname and these are how his name shows in various menus. 

As for how the string file itself works I'm not 100% sure but how I think it works but it has a lot to do with the lengths of individual strings.