need a bit of help from my PC Tekkies External Hard drive issue

the King Lives

Okay so i have this 1TB Toshiba connect External hard drive. It was working fine till about 3 months ago i used it to transfer WWE2K14 and WWE13 to my pc to do some file dissecting. well, after i was done, i formatted the whole thing, thus deleting the 32 GB partition the 360 put on it.

Now, it's acting slow as hell (it's a usb 3.0 drive) it's not recognized as usb 3.0 when plugged into said port, and when i put videos in there, they freeze up, i get all types of distortedness and i know the videos are good. they're mostly 90s tv shows and some of my WWE2K14 and WWE13 captures from last year.  So, I'm at this point running CHKDSK and it shows the following

2utjour.png

now from that image it's saying i should have a total of 972 GB/1TB but in the This PC window and disk management it's only showing it as having a capacity of 932 GB.

it also says about 40 GB's is taken up in 7 files, i am at a loss here. I've had hard drive problems before but they were pretty easy solutions to fix them. Maybe i'm overlooking something though i really don't think so.  Monday i think i'll just RMA it back to toshiba. They've offered a 56$ coupon so i just wanna get it up and running again.

Thanks for reading and hope someone can come up to a solution.  Maybe

Edited by Jai

Format it through windows built in "diskpart" options, might give it the kick up the arse it needs.

http://bootableusb.net/install-windows-7-usb-drive-easy-way/

Start from the diskpart bit of that, and stop when it tells you to exit diskpart.

I'm sure there are other methods, but I've seen that work before on slow drives

i'll try that. i know i did a win 8 recovery partition at one point but i don't even think that's the issue cause it's basically withholding the same 32 gigs that the 360 put on it (mind you this was before the whole 2TB external support 360 update lol)

I've had dick all experience with externals with the 360 so there's possibly a simple solution

yeah there's no reason why it should be saying that theres only 931 gb's as a capacity of a 1TB drive. some how that data is locked although i know i wiped it clean.. IDK. i'm going to take it up to best buy on my way to gamestop for the buy 4 for 10$ deal to see if they can fix it. I just don't have the time i used to to tinker with hard drives that don't want to work as they should

Why you asking us? You fix PCs for a living.

yes i fix and build pc's for a living but i don't claim to be a rocket scientist. and what one person might miss as a problem needing a solution, someone else could pick it up and find that solution. but i see you're back to being a class 1 asshole so i'm moving  on. besides. i did a chkdsk last night, it found no errors so it's being rma'd to toshiba tomorrow. Nice try though fozy

Glad to know this crisis has been averted, let us know how the drive performs when it comes back and if they give you any pirated movies on it. Smell it as well and let me know if the guy spilt pad Thai all over it.

Glad to know this crisis has been averted, let us know how the drive performs when it comes back and if they give you any pirated movies on it. Smell it as well and let me know if the guy spilt pad Thai all over it.

I'm not getting a replacement. They're just giving me a coupon. For some reason I think those canvio toshiba external drives have been discontinued maybe because of what's happened to this one. I mean hell intake care of my stuff and I never dropped it. And putting a 32 gig partition on it for the 360 shouldn't have caused all these issues

You're a retard jeff.

This coming from you?

You made the smart ass comment.

I know the problem, you don't. LOL

What part of I work on desktops don't you understand. But if you don't want to share i don't give a fuck its already been sent to toshiba. I'm getting a coupon for another one and there wasn't any data on there anymore anyway. I don't waste my time on hard drives internal or external. To me if the have a problem or break down I just either rma or buy another one. But that's me. I have money to splurge if I need to. And I never said I was a computer scientist but I have been working on computers since I was 29. Something that I was always knowledgeable in and kept me out of jail but of course you would have probably preferred that. Good thing we're polar opposites

What part of I work on desktops don't you understand. But if you don't want to share i don't give a fuck its already been sent to toshiba. I'm getting a coupon for another one and there wasn't any data on there anymore anyway. I don't waste my time on hard drives internal or external. To me if the have a problem or break down I just either rma or buy another one. But that's me. I have money to splurge if I need to. And I never said I was a computer scientist but I have been working on computers since I was 29. Something that I was always knowledgeable in and kept me out of jail but of course you would have probably preferred that. Good thing we're polar opposites

You don't know shit about anything. You work in a computer repair shop yet you haven't got a fucking clue how to operate a hard drive. Also, haha you're a fucking lying cunt.

A little info for you dumbass. 1.i have a bachelors and masters degree in compute science and biology respectively. 2. I don't need to justify myself to you. I'm not here to win a popularity contest which it seems you are trying to do, and coincidently you are becoming enemies with every one. No one likes you. Get it? Got it? GOOD!

And being 25 doesn't mean jack shit. Until you are paying a mortgage, bills and not living at home with your mommy and daddy, you being 25 means nothing. 25 is about the same as being 21. You need to learn life lessons and grow up

Get fucked boy.

Edited by Fozy

Fuck sake Jeff sort out your lies

Fuck sake stay out of my threads and business. Matter of fact get a life. No one wanted to help the solution so I prefer not to respond. As far as I'm concerned this can be closed.