Edit Model Textures Tutorial

SD2 LeGeNd

TUTORIAL ON HOW TO EDIT STANDARD TEXTURES

Here’s the tutorial on how to edit textures of standard body parts in SD2. I got a new job some time ago, so I don’t have much free time now, but as soon as I have some, I’ll try to post a video version of the tutorial. As I look at this guide now it kinda seems very big and scary, but don’t worry, it’s actually not that difficult once you try it a couple of times 

Credit for some parts of the tutorial goes to NMCM.

Don’t forget to make a backup of your files before editing.

What you’ll need:
1) UltraISO
2) Nike the Bike’s SVR editor
3) Tekken’s X-Packer
4) TimViewer
5) Adobe Photoshop
6) Any hex editor

Step by step guide:

1) Open your SD2 game image with UltraISO and extract ED1B.PAC, ED1H.PAC, ED1L.PAC to any folder on your computer. These files contain models and textures of all the standard parts in the game. Let’s call them “big PACs”. “B” means “Body”, “H” – “Head” and “L” – “Legs”.

2) As an example let’s edit the Rock’s leg textures. To extract them from ED1L.PAC we’ll need Nike the Bike’s SVR editor. 

Once you downloaded it, start cmd and type “cd path to the directory the editor is installed to”. In my case it looks like this: “cd C:\Users\Nikita\Desktop\SvREdit”. 

Then type “export path to the directory ED1L.PAC is in”. In my case it’s “export C:\Users\Nikita\Desktop\SDModding \ED1L\ED1L.PAC”.

The editor will extract a lot of new .PAC files to the same folder where your ED1L.PAC is in. Let’s call these files “small PACs” to avoid confusion with “big PACs”. Each of these “small PACs” contains a model and textures for one standard part.

3) Now look at the first 4 files: ED1L.PAC.1.PAC, ED1L.PAC.2.PAC, ED1L.PAC.3.PAC and ED1L.PAC.4.PAC. Each of them is the Rock’s legs. What’s the difference? 1 is the first skin color (pale), 2 is the second one (normal), 3 is the third one (brown) and obviously 4 is the fourth one (black).

Let’s take ED1L.PAC.3.PAC which is the Rock’s default color (brown). Open it with Tekken’s X-Packer (File -> Open -> PS2/PSP Wrestler Pack). You’ll see that it contains two files: 00.EMD and 0A.PAC. EMD is a model, so forget about it. What we’ll need is 0A.PAC (yeah, a new .PAC file again, let’s call it “lesser PAC” to avoid possible confusion with the previous two files), it contains textures.

Extract 0A.PAC to any folder and open it with X-Packer (again, File -> Open -> PS2/PSP Wrestler Pack). You’ll see a lot of .BPE files. These are the textures. Uncompress them all to any folder.

(Among the .bpe files you may get one .yobj file. In our case that’s the same as .bpe, so everything I say below about .bpe applies to it as well).

4) Open TimViewer. Press File -> Scan RAW File, then go to the folder where you uncompressed the .BPE files to. Open 00.pac. Double click the file number 1. You should see a texture (in this case – the Rock’s crowd sign. For some reason the textures of crowd signs are stored with the leg textures for every wrestler in the game). Now press File -> Save TIM File and save the texture to a .tim file. You can name it whatever you want, but I recommend using the same name as the one that the .pac file has (in this case – “00”).

Do the same for every other .pac file that you uncompressed.

Then press Convert -> TIM to BMP and choose the folder where you saved all your .tim files to. This should convert them to .bmp, so that you could edit them in Photoshop.

Please, note that you should keep all the converted .bmp files in the same folder where your .bpe, .pac and .tim files are, that’s important.

5) Now we can edit textures. You can do it any way you want, but here’s how I do it.

Create a new Photoshop file with dimensions something like 200x500 pixels and RGB color mode (let’s call this file “Main File”). Open all the converted .bmp files, copy every one of them and past them to the Main File in a vertical order, each under the previous one.

Look at the second .bmp file you pasted. It should be the front side of the Rock’s trunks. Make any edit to it.

You have to change the color mode of the Main File to Indexed (in my version of Photoshop I go to Image -> Mode -> Indexed Color). Set palette to “Local (Perceptual)”, forced to “Black and White”, transparency should be off and dither should be none. As for number of colors I usually set something like 200. It should be enough for any texture edit and at the same time it’s less than 256 (which I tried one time, but the game didn’t load the texture correctly).

Press Image -> Mode -> Color Table and save your color table. This is the reason I choose to place all the textures into one file. Because every one of them should have the same color table, otherwise the texture won’t look properly in the game.

Open all of your converted .bmp files in Photoshop again and for every one of them go to Image -> Mode -> Color Table and load the color table of the Main File you saved. All the textures will degrade, but don’t worry.

Now copy all the textures from the Main File and past them to their corresponding .bmp files. That’s why I place the textures in the Main File in a vertical order, so that it would correspond with the alphabetical order of the .bmp files.

Save the .bmp files.

6) Open TimViewer, press Convert -> BMP to TIM and choose the directory where your .bmp files are. This will convert them back to .tim.

7) Now we will import our edited textures back into the game.

Open the 0A.PAC (the “lesser PAC” from step 3 of this guide) in X-Packer and inject all the edited .tim files into the place of the correspondent .bpe files. The game will still load the textures, albeit our .PAC files will get bigger in size. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to compress .tim to .bpe, so that’s the only way.

After you’ve injected the .tim files, open the ED1L.PAC.3.PAC and inject the 0A.PAC into it. As I said, the file will be bigger in size (in my case it became 32 KB), so we won’t be able to inject it to the same slot where it originally was. It means that we’ll have to replace another 32 KB (or larger) .PAC with it.

For example, look at the ED1L.PAC.14.PAC file (it’s X-Pac, first color). It has the same size – 32 KB. So we will replace it with our file.

8) Open ED1L.PAC.14.PAC (small PAC) and ED1L.PAC (big PAC) in any hex editor. I use HxD, but it really doesn’t matter which one to use. 

First let’s look at ED1L.PAC.14.PAC. You can see it starts with “PAC” and the second line has “EMD” and if you scroll a bit down, you’ll see another “PAC”. Copy a couple of lines of hex values somewhere after the offset 00000150 (if your offset numbers are in hex) or 00000336 (if your offset numbers are in decimal), then go to ED1L.PAC and search for those hex values. Of course, the model is the same for all 4 skin versions of X-Pac, so you’ll find those values for 4 times. As I said, we need the first result (pale color) because it has the same size as out edited .PAC. When you find it, scroll a bit up until you see “PAC” and “EMD”.

Open our edited file (ED1L.PAC.3.PAC) in hex editor. Select all, copy and past-write it before “PAC” that you found in ED1L.PAC. Your inserted data should end exactly before the next “PAC”.

(Note, that if your hex editor doesn't have a paste-write option, you'll have to delete the old data first before pasting the new one. It will end where you see "PAC" and "EMD" again).

9) That’s basically it. Just save the file, insert it back to the game image with UltraISO and in the game create a CAW with X-Pac’s legs and the first skin color. Instead of X-Pack’s legs you should see your edited Rock’s legs.

I know that this wall of text may be really hard to understand (especially parts about hex editing), so if you have any questions, feel free to ask me, I’ll try to help. Also, as I said, I may do a video version of the tutorial.

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/4811/271516239.0/0_c8eb6_44a11683_orig

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/5111/271516239.0/0_c8eb7_e21d75f9_orig

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/5112/271516239.0/0_c8eb8_811feae5_orig

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/5107/271516239.0/0_c8eb9_dd0718f3_orig

Edited by SD2 LeGeNd

• 1 year later...

Do i really need color table (if all the images will use the same pallete anyway)? Why no dithering? Since i can save file in let's say 201 color with transparency and then copy and past separate images into bmps without transparency. Cause you know dethering helps alot sometimes, especially for the skin.

And here is another question - is there any way to replace in game wrestlers without using cheat codes, so they will be in the iso and avaible without extra stuff. I want to replace Gerald Brisco, Pat Patterson, Michael Cole, Pete Gas, Rodney and Joey Abbs, since they are pretty pointless

The plan is simple - to replace useless guys with SD1/SD3 characters, so the result will be SD Trilogy if you will.

Essa Rios -> Jerry Lynn

Pat Patterson -> Paul White (Big Show)

Gerald Brisco -> Ken Shamrock

Michael Cole -> the King (Jerry Lawler)

Rodney - > Tajiri (i believe Rodney is cruiserweight)

Pete Gas -> Raven

Joey Abs -> Rhyno

Kat-> Molly Holly

Viscera -> William Regal

I need to edit their stats as well somehow, does anyone know any codes for this?

I also need help with replacing music (Divas themes +DX)

8 of them with: ECW theme (rhyno, Tajiri, Lynn, Raven) Regal theme, Big Show theme, Shamrock theme, Lawler theme, WCW theme, nWo Theme,

Edited by Andrey Ermac

"Do i really need color table (if all the images will use the same pallete anyway)?"

Yes, if you're modding a face, all parts of the face should have the same color table. A trick I use is to piece them together and save the full face texture and save the color palette from that.

Yes, using hex editor. Its kind of easy once you get the hang of it. I'm not sure about ps3 characters as they are on two different platforms (psx-ps2).

"I need to edit their stats as well somehow, does anyone know any codes for this?"

You don't need codes to do this, you can actually include it in their avatar when you're modding.

"I also need help with replacing music (Divas themes +DX)"

Check your PM, if you're serious about modding SD2, I'll help you in any way I can.

• 11 months later...