Gotham

The Don

So has anyone checked it out yet? I just got around to checking it out and after one episode I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series. The only problem is that it's on the same time/day as RAW and Top Gear

I was sold on it as soon as I heard that Donal Logue was one of the main characters. He's one of my favorite actors who can never seem to catch a break, Terriers was awesome and I loved him in SoA. Another big plus is the kid who plays The Penguin. The scene with he and Gordon at the pier was awesome. The kid is pretty much perfect for the part in this first episode and I hope he's put to good use going forward. Judging by the preview for next week, he will be. I'm also looking forward to seeing Bruce and Catwoman's first meeting since they're clearly setting up for something with them.

Everyone seems to be talking about Fish Mooney and while she's a cool new character, she's not the show stealer like everyone is making her out to be. Again, for me it's Penguin and Bullock who are the highlights currently. I'm also not a fan of the guy playing Alfred. We've been spoiled which Michael Caine in the movies and seeing anyone else in that role seems like sacrilege.

The episode wasn't perfect, but it's greater than the sum of it's parts. Thankfully they have enough strong characters that it doesn't need to be strictly about Jim Gordon... and after a season or two it might be a mistake to keep the focus solely on him since right now he's currently the least interesting of the bunch. That night a slight on him or the actor but more a compliment on how well they've managed others in only one episode.

On a side note; It seems like shows based on comics are in a "golden age" so to speak. This is good, Arrow is awesome, haven't heard anyone say anything bad about Agents of Shield (just haven't watched it yet) and The Flash is apparently being handled by the same people behind Arrow so hopes are high for that. I'm not a comic book nerd but it seems like shows based on them are rapidly filling my appointment TV list. Now if only they could make a show based on The Darkness... or get the ball rolling on The Darkness III.

Yeah I torrented Gotham (Doesn't air in UK until late October, but I couldn't wait until then), I thought it was a pretty solid pilot episode. I'm looking forward to more of them.

I like Ben McKenzie as Jim Gordan, it's weird because (Call me gay but) I used to be a huge fan of The O.C so it's weird seeing him take this on. But I think he'll play a good Jim. I LOVE the actors that play The Penguin and The Riddler. I thought they were over hyping Penguin in the lead up to the pilot, but he was great. The Riddler just looks cool, I can't describe it but I can tell he's gonna be a badass. Barbara is hot man, anyone else think so?

Don't get the point of Fish Mooney, don't like her. I HATE the actor that plays Alfred, I'm a HUGE fan of the Christopher Nolan Batman Trilogy and loved Michael Caine as Alfred. I thought Alfred was meant to be a loyal servant to the Wayne's, he just seems like a massive asshole that doesn't care at all for Bruce. Hopefully this changes somehow.

Just letting you know as well, I watched The Flash in early August I think. Pretty solid, definitely has you hooked so you want to watch the next episode.

...Did I miss The Riddler? How intertwined are the universes for Arrow and Flash? I saw Ollie in the commercial for Flash last night.

You missed the riddler? :lol you might not know, but the riddler is Edward Nygma. I thought him saying riddles and then getting mad inside when Jim figured it out would tell.

There will NEVER be a better superhero TV show than Smallville. I'll check it out tho

Edit: So I watched the first episode, and it's not bad to be honest

Edited by Adapt Or Perish

...Did I miss The Riddler? How intertwined are the universes for Arrow and Flash? I saw Ollie in the commercial for Flash last night.

You missed the riddler? :lol you might not know, but the riddler is Edward Nygma. I thought him saying riddles and then getting mad inside when Jim figured it out would tell.

Musta been while I was on the phone. I'm sure he'll show up again next week.

I like that it is far away from the source material, it really just takes the bare bones of each character and creates it's own universe. It's CSI:Batman. The show was a bit shit though, most pilots are though. It's was very uneven, actors were still clearly trying to find their characters.

The most frustrating thing will be people trying to tie it to past Batmans or Batman v Superman. The mainstream doesn't know that DC has zero interest in a cohesive universe, it'll confuse a lot of people who know the characters but don't understand there's no continuity.

I enjoyed the first, and is very interested in seeing where it's going... The biggest problem with Gotham, is that it's on Fox, which is notorious for canceling series before the first season is even done... Plus changing Poison Ivy's name from "Pamela Isley" to "Ivy Pepper" is completely dumb....

Not a bad first episode, and I already despise Fish Mooney just because I despise Jada Pinkett she sucks as an actress period. Still iffy on Oswald, was funny seeing him enjoying hitting some homeruns off dudes head.  Looking forward to the next episode none the less.

Glad they are giving enough time to develop each character in the early goings of this show and not just rushing into it and then giving us lame backstories/flashbacks later on.  

Exactly. Again, the weakest part of this weeks episode involved Gordon, Bruce and Fish. I kinda hope Fish Mooney doesn't make it to the second season. I get her role is to kinda tie together the existing lore with what they're doing but... pluh. They're handling Catwoman well, the girl was an excellent pick. Same to be said with The Penguin, again he was the highlight for me. Crazy to think that's the same kid who played ADD in Accepted.

Uhhh for a show based around two detectives....there's very little detectoring. Both eps the detectives had no leads, went to Fish Mooney to get a lead (essentially reducing that character to a walking, talking deus ex machina), and then stumbled upon the villains catching them red handed.

Arrow had a clear sense of purpose from the start, Ollie's transformation from rich dirtbag to a city's savior. Gotham seems confused, Bruce Wayne will take a decade to become Batman, he's a pre-teen in the show. So can Jim Gordon carry the show? They can't take him out of a detective role, because Jim Gordon:Desk Jockey won't make a good show...so he has no character arc. The only solution I see is skipping years in between seasons and recasting Bruce and Selina every year.

Great points. I'd however hate to see them recast some people, Catwoman and Penguin in particularity... Bullock as well. The problem with the complaint about them not doing much detective work is that they try and cram so much into one hour You made the comparison to Arrow and I think you're on to something. Arrow has let storylines play out for an episode or two until it reaches somewhat of a conclusion and then it's done for awhile. I just watched the episode with Huntress coming back for her father, in custody, and it was perfect. Last time they touched on that story it reached a good enough conclusion for it to be put on the back burner for awhile.

I think it might boil down to the writers needing to take more time to properly plan things out.

Glad they are giving enough time to develop each character in the early goings of this show and not just rushing into it and then giving us lame backstories/flashbacks later on.  

Exactly. Again, the weakest part of this weeks episode involved Gordon, Bruce and Fish. I kinda hope Fish Mooney doesn't make it to the second season. I get her role is to kinda tie together the existing lore with what they're doing but... pluh. They're handling Catwoman well, the girl was an excellent pick. Same to be said with The Penguin, again he was the highlight for me. Crazy to think that's the same kid who played ADD in Accepted.

After getting a warning from Falcone, think Fish will probably retaliate and it will cost her, her life..  Her short temper will be her downfall most likely.  I really hope she doesn't become the Juice of this show *Sons of Anarchy ref there*.  Even thou most shows seem to keep those we despise the most around the longest to keep us watching in hopes they are killed off and also to piss us off at same time

Edited by Spyder78

Is this topic about the movie Gotham? Sorry if sounds silly of me, but I just took a fast glance reading what I could. I have yet seen the Gotham movie. I was pumped for it when I seen a couple of trailers  & previews for it. 

Is this topic about the movie Gotham? Sorry if sounds silly of me, but I just took a fast glance reading what I could. I have yet seen the Gotham movie. I was pumped for it when I seen a couple of trailers  & previews for it. 

It's a TV show.

gotham_banner.jpg