Adobe Premiere Pro vs. Sony Vegas Pro

Ollie™

So, after 5 years of editing with SV I made a transition to APP and I wanted to know if there was anyone who wanted to weigh in on their opinion?

Personally I believe SV is easy to function and not very demanding of my computer, however I can't help but feel quite amateurish when I use the interface. APP is not only very good quality software but seems a bit more flexible. However, I find it to be tedious with crashes, freezes and such, as well as power and time consuming.

Ultimately I believe Sony Vegas is superior, only because it's easy, some what flexible and fun to explore. Though, I can't wait to explore Premiere Pro.

Premiere as a standalone is better for any simple editing. If you're looking to make a fancy effect filled video, then Vegas as a standalone would be better.

However, the key feature for me with Premiere is the wide variety of plug-ins that you can get, such as a good choice of third party compositors, as well as being well integrated into the Adobe suite as well. Once you start tooling it up, it becomes a really powerful application. Also not to be sniffed at is the exporting. Premiere has the best exporting in a quality to file size scale, and it's still faster than most others. I can only think of Final Cut that exports faster, but that's at the expense of a larger file too. For me, Premiere is better, especially once you really start to get to grips with plug-ins and what not.

FCP

Obviously, I don't have FCP, though, I'd love to use it. Are there any major differences in terms of interfaces between AP and FCP? A couple of my friends say they're not identical but AP is still the closest product for Windows to FCP.

Edited by NERDGFX

They're nothing like tbh, other than both being video editing programs. Unless he was using FCPX, in which case that's somewhat similar to Premiere Elements, but shit.

Yes, I probably should've identified which FCP I meant, I did in fact mean FCPX. Personally I like the professional look of the (FCPX) videos, they're the closest to the WWE promos in my opinion. I've been forever in search of that ghosty wavy vignette-like effect they do on the promos; I remember seeing a FCP tutorial for it. Lord of jesus help me repent and search for what I've been missing.

FCPX is shit, imho. It's like instagram for video editing. Some nice shiny premade effects and filters, but overall a piece of shit for any serious or detailed editing. Nothing there when it comes to sound or creating detailed or complicated movements or variations and that kind of thing. Just a bunch of presets.

FCPX is shit, imho. It's like instagram for video editing. Some nice shiny premade effects and filters, but overall a piece of shit for any serious or detailed editing. Nothing there when it comes to sound or creating detailed or complicated movements or variations and that kind of thing. Just a bunch of presets.

See, when it comes to make serious or complicated editing I prefer After Effects, I find it easier. Though, I'm pretty sure my computer is gonna relapse and return to factory settings if I carry on using Premiere. It just freezes and that's the end of it...

idk why Premiere would be buggy. Never had issues with it on Mac or Windows.

I only really used After Effects for snippets, since it's a resource hog and editing on it for too long just gets annoying. I've pretty much replaced it with the Boris FX plug-in for most things - or Photoshop, since the video editing in that is pretty nice and smooth. I use Premiere to assemble everything.

I used Boris plugins for a month, though, eventually I found them very tedious. I've been using Genarts plugins for about 2 years now and they're incredibly creative. They're also quite flexible. Though, I find I can't have any other plugins in any of my programs. Which sucks, that, and if any other program require use of my computers graphics card the plugins then turn into a black clip until I restart vegas...

I have the Genarts ones as well. I just like that Boris are constantly releasing free stuff for theirs, usually weekly. Got so much free stuff over the last 2 years for it. Almost makes me feel bad for having a fake license. And it sounds like you need a better computer.

I have the Genarts ones as well. I just like that Boris are constantly releasing free stuff for theirs, usually weekly. Got so much free stuff over the last 2 years for it. Almost makes me feel bad for having a fake license. And it sounds like you need a better computer.

That's what angers me, it's not even a year old, it new, with a "powerful" (yes PCWorld, obviously) system and "the best" graphics card on my budget (which was ranging anything from £300 to £600) in the end it was £530 pound for a PC that's became redundant in the last two weeks.

That's what angers me, it's not even a year old, it new, with a "powerful" (yes PCWorld, obviously) system and "the best" graphics card on my budget (which was ranging anything from £300 to £600) in the end it was £530 pound for a PC that's became redundant in the last two weeks.

Dude, word of advice. If you have a budget to buy a PC, don't buy a premade one. The money goes so much further buying the parts yourself, and building it. It's so easy to do these days.

Dude, word of advice. If you have a budget to buy a PC, don't buy a premade one. The money goes so much further buying the parts yourself, and building it. It's so easy to do these days.

Well damn, do you think I'd get any money for my current PC? It's in perfect condition, just the keyboard that's gone to shit cos' I stupidly split Coca Cola on it...

Well damn, do you think I'd get any money for my current PC? It's in perfect condition, just the keyboard that's gone to shit cos' I stupidly split Coca Cola on it...

If it's about 3-5 years old I think you could sell it for $300.

I used Adobe Premiere like once a few years ago and didn't know what the hell to do.

Started using Vegas Pro 11 around October 2012, really easy to pick up and I pretty much know my way around everything now.

Maybe I'll check out Premiere soon. Some people have said to me its much easier to use once you know how to work Vegas, and has way more features.

I used Adobe Premiere like once a few years ago and didn't know what the hell to do.

Started using Vegas Pro 11 around October 2012, really easy to pick up and I pretty much know my way around everything now.

Maybe I'll check out Premiere soon. Some people have said to me its much easier to use once you know how to work Vegas, and has way more features.

I'd most definitely recommend giving it a second chance, I've had to revert to using Vegas Pro 12 again, simple, effective and less-time consuming. Honestly though, knowing how to work Vegas doesn't really help in Premiere, other than using the trimming tool. It helps to know the basics of After Effects. And to find a layout that's most comfortable for you on the interface can really help too.

Been using Adobe since college and before with photoshop. When you combine the whole Adobe package (Photoshop, Encore, After Effects, Premiere Pro) then that is when the magic happens. I've made some decent work combining the programs.

It's like someone said before. Once you get all those plugins it thrives. Just a shame you need a beastly computer to use it.

• 3 weeks later...

Been using Adobe since college and before with photoshop. When you combine the whole Adobe package (Photoshop, Encore, After Effects, Premiere Pro) then that is when the magic happens. I've made some decent work combining the programs.

It's like someone said before. Once you get all those plugins it thrives. Just a shame you need a beastly computer to use it.

Yeah, especially when you have installed games too.