Hip Hop Thread

Kush

I've known that freestyle by heart since the 1st time I heard it back then! L was a gamechanger! He was 2 weeks from officially signing with Rocafella. Had all his records, anything he was featured on. L was my dude. Check out his stuff with Children of the Corn too.. RIP Big L.

R.I.P Lamont Coleman aka Big L Corleone. My favorite hip hop emcee to ever live. It's a shame how he passed on after he was about to actually make it big after all his hard work payed off and never got to see the limelight of his fame awaiting for him. Classics like Dangerzone, The Heist, M.V.P., The Enemy, Put it On, Casualties of a Dice game, Let 'Em Have It L, School Days, Devil's Son, Flamboyant ect. Man the first hip hop artist I actually fell in love with and that kind of old school mentality influenced a lot of other up and coming future hip hop classic acts. My username is named after the group he was in with Murder Mase, Herb Mcgruff, Kill Kam, Digga ect. Brought back memories listening to that sick freestyle.

Edited by ChildrenOfTheCorn

Far from broke, got enough bread. Mad hoes, ask Beavis, I get nothing But head! 1 of the illest lines ever.

Agreed my man,Big L's punchlines and puns were out of this world.

Don't know if any of yous listen to current Hip Hop but this nigga right here is owning the game.

One of my favorite songs by K.dot

My favorite "mainstream" emcee, was, is and always will be Nas! Period. 20 years strong.

Nas is my all-time favorite. :) I just came here to post about the 20th anniversary of Illmatic, haha.

This is 1 of the most beautiful tracks ever written. The original is by Nina Simone. Hi Tek's production and Lib's words make this track pure art. I suggest listening to the original 1st. And getting and understanding of what the song is about. Especially for the non American cats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68PV604xNsg

Ya'll gon have me in here for days. I am a pure underground head. Have been since the 90's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DY94XFbocU

Still gettin mine in the 1-9-9-9!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bbT7WUW9sY

Edited by Righteous

I don't like a lot of hip hop but I am a big fan of Tyler the Creator, he's really poetic in a dark DARK way, especially he's earlier stuff before Goblin.

GOLFWANG

My favourite rapper is B. Wash. He's really good in every sense. Someone I really hope makes it big. His mixtape is seriously good, it's just a shame that so few songs are on YouTube to show him off. Eureka is a great song that shows what he can do lyrically.

Hs mixtape is free on Datpiff, so it's worth getting: http://www.datpiff.com/B-Wash-X-Dj-Whoo-Kid-A-Minute-Till-Six-mixtape.412267.html

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably my only contribution to this thread unless I get ungodly bored again but here's some freestyles/tracks/whatever from back in the day that I easily remember and can find on YouTube without much effort.

If I remember right, Jin was one of the first guys to go from this to a record contract. But lack of promotion and ability to get out of the "freestyle battler: mindset was his undoing. But if I remember right, his debut album wasn't too bad.

This is a song that was huge in my school, I loved the lyricism in it while most people just liked the beat, but shit happens. In hindsight I wish I would have continued to follow Papoose but it's just one of those things.

I fucking hated G-Unit back when this came out but I still loved this. Lloyd Banks was great in this and I got shit for it because I was (and still am) a Ja Rule Fan. Those were the days...

Ooooh beef... It was so stupid but entertaining. I do like Yukmouth and "Godzilla" was one of the few albums to survive "The Great Nigga Album Purge of 2012" which is saying something considering the amount of albums sold. I've always had a soft sport for the "I'll fucking kill you and your baby momma" tracks along with the now seemingly dead art form of Gangsta Rap.

Apparently Joe Budden is still making music, good for him and hip-hop. Again, from when I listened so whatever. But the first link is him flipping "When Doves Cry" which was cool to me being from Minnesota.

But the second song (10 Mins.) is still one of my favorite songs that gets played somewhat regularly. I'm pretty sure I mentioned this in another topic but, REAL music. It's a song with real emotion and you can feel it with every word. Again, another album that survived the purge. Actually, I might dig it out this evening.

Honorable mention as I think it's required listening for anyone who like real rap/hip-hop with a message. Revolutionary Vol. 1 & 2 are among my prized possessions and they're both epic albums and I have them both autographed.

EDIT: I didn't realize putting just the link in a post would lead to the videos being posted. Oh well, I'm not going back to fix it.

Edited by The Don