Is Pop Culture Dumbing Down Society?

The Don

I'm sure most would say some of these girls dress more "slutty", or "hoeish" or "like a prostitute" now a days. I don't disagree with that assessment at all. I just try not to use certain terminology at times. But, if the shoe fits...... LOL. My wife and I went out to eat last Sunday. There was a little girl (had to be like 10 at the most) in there with a face full of make-up. Now, it didn't appear that she was playing some type of princess dress up time, or something similar. I am not a fan of make up at all. I don't even like when my wife wears it. Why would someone want to cover up the beauty that the Lord blessed them with. I do understand that there are always exceptions and reasons for them, and that's fine.  When I have a daughter, and she wants to play dress up and princess, and tea party and all. I don't mind the make up (if putting make up on me makes her happy, I'd gladly let her do it), but as far as these teens, and even pre teens, walking around with a face full of make up, trying to act grown.. NO, absolutely not. Same goes for the clothes. I do feel that the media plays a LARGE role in how these girls want to dress and act. Just look at Social Media and these vids and pics these girls put up. Sexting, and all that. The media makes these girls believe that you have to dress sexy or act a certain way to be successful. FALSE! They need to start teaching these young women to be strong, educated women. And yes, the parents (or lack thereof) are to blame as well. My favorite response from them is - "I didn't even know she was doing that". Ofcourse you didn't, how are you gonna know if you aren't around, or aren't involved or interested. I know that some kids are gonna sneak around and do stuff behind their parent's back. That's to be expected. But, that's also the exception. Not the freaking rule.

I think we live in a time when the news media is constantly scaremongering people, ignoring things that go against them, and painting people a picture of the world that pushes them to embrace the sort of easy to watch, easy to listen, easy to zone out media that is produced - at least in the western world. The majority of pop music is just a bouncy beat with nothing behind it, and an interchangeable artist on the cover who couldn't care less about their fans - it's easy to listen to, and it's easy to talk about. It's a distraction, and it helps people to cope with the picture of the world they've been given to look at. That's not to say there isn't room for artistry.

TV is the same for major networks. It's there to be easy to watch for people, so they sit there, watch a crappy show and watch the adverts. There are a few exceptions, like HBO who still strive for originality and artistry, but then you have the HBO rip offs with shows like Walking Dead, which are there simply to be pseudo artistic, rocking on something wholly unoriginal and rake in peoples' money from advertising. I mentioned my anger at Two And A Half Men being besmirched earlier, which was meant as more of a joke, since I realise it's not exactly the outright most intellectually stimulating comedy ever made. It's a Chuck Lorre show, who everyone knows makes comedy for the purpose of making money. He made The Big Bang Theory as well, which is outright one of the most garbage shows ever created - basically living off laughing at people and looking at Kaley Cuoco's tits. It's no Curb Your Enthusiasm, that's for sure, and again, it's easy viewing made to capitalise on a dumbed down society.

I don't blame just the shows and music of pop culture for the 'shift in dumbness', I blame the news and media outlets working to make people dumb, so that they will then buy into the crap they offer - it's not necessarily the shows and music themselves that are doing the dumbing down, they just become more appealing once you are dumbed down.

TV is the same for major networks. It's there to be easy to watch for people, so they sit there, watch a crappy show and watch the adverts. There are a few exceptions, like HBO who still strive for originality and artistry, but then you have the HBO rip offs with shows like Walking Dead, which are there simply to be pseudo artistic, rocking on something wholly unoriginal and rake in peoples' money from advertising. I mentioned my anger at Two And A Half Men being besmirched earlier, which was meant as more of a joke, since I realise it's not exactly the outright most intellectually stimulating comedy ever made. It's a Chuck Lorre show, who everyone knows makes comedy for the purpose of making money. He made The Big Bang Theory as well, which is outright one of the most garbage shows ever created

First of all, kudos. I was afraid you were a Two and a Half Men/Big Bang fanboy, in which case I don't think i could have had a logical debate about it with you. To Dovetail in with that I've kinda made a rule for myself these past few years, if a show has laugh track I won't watch it. I even watched the pilot episode of Married With Children last night (it's a classic guilty pleasure show that I've been waching as long as I can remember) on Crackle last night and the obvious laugh track ruined it for me. But, I'm getting off track here.

As for what RIghteous said, I pretty much agree. Kids caking on the makeup now is pretty asinine. I get "that's what girls do" and all that good stuff but I agree with you that it's not needed. At the same time that goes in to a whole other topic of beauty and how it's portrayed and pushed.

TV is the same for major networks. It's there to be easy to watch for people, so they sit there, watch a crappy show and watch the adverts. There are a few exceptions, like HBO who still strive for originality and artistry, but then you have the HBO rip offs with shows like Walking Dead, which are there simply to be pseudo artistic, rocking on something wholly unoriginal and rake in peoples' money from advertising. I mentioned my anger at Two And A Half Men being besmirched earlier, which was meant as more of a joke, since I realise it's not exactly the outright most intellectually stimulating comedy ever made. It's a Chuck Lorre show, who everyone knows makes comedy for the purpose of making money. He made The Big Bang Theory as well, which is outright one of the most garbage shows ever created

First of all, kudos. I was afraid you were a Two and a Half Men/Big Bang fanboy, in which case I don't think i could have had a logical debate about it with you. To Dovetail in with that I've kinda made a rule for myself these past few years, if a show has laugh track I won't watch it. I even watched the pilot episode of Married With Children last night (it's a classic guilty pleasure show that I've been waching as long as I can remember) on Crackle last night and the obvious laugh track ruined it for me. But, I'm getting off track here.

As for what RIghteous said, I pretty much agree. Kids caking on the makeup now is pretty asinine. I get "that's what girls do" and all that good stuff but I agree with you that it's not needed. At the same time that goes in to a whole other topic of beauty and how it's portrayed and pushed.

I will happily admit to watching Two And A Half Men, as I enjoy the dynamics of the characters and the chemistry between them - and I don't think i'm 'too smart' for a dirty joke or some good slapstick. It has it's place, and it's an incredibly well written and produced show too. Being a Film/TV student, I appreciate just how good of a show it is.

Absolutely nothing wrong with slapstick and dirty jokes, it just seems to me the majority of the people who can't seem to put together more than one coherent thought at a time mostly watch these kinds of shows... Hence this discussion.

Don don't forget how kids these days are completely disrespectful to adults. Here is a quote from my mom trying to help out a 16 year old and man she told his ass "Oh it seems to me that I lived for 46 years just to be a dumb ass who knows nothing. I lived all these years just so I can tell you how to avoid shit and you just dismiss it like I do not know a damn thing. Okay I guess I'm just an adult with Alzheimer.", after she was done his mom came up and slapped him, thanked my mom and went on about their business.

You managed to name the three shows I spend most of my time watching.

To answer your question , Yes. Most music is just terrible with Bieber, One Direction , Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift above all she's just studio magic.

How I Met Your Mother is hilarious , been keeping me busy for 3 years and The Big Bang Theory's pretty funny too along with Two and a Half Men but I guess everyone has their own type of humor these days.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10767878/Infants-unable-to-use-toy-building-blocks-due-to-iPad-addiction.html

Bump. Read. Discuss.

I've been around kids 3-5 A LOT in the past few years between my nieces and my friend's kids and can happily say none of the kids I interact with have this issue but the parents in question also have half a brain in their heads. How much time a day would an infant need to spend with an iPad or whatever to accomplish this?! It boggles the mind!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10767878/Infants-unable-to-use-toy-building-blocks-due-to-iPad-addiction.html

Bump. Read. Discuss.

I've been around kids 3-5 A LOT in the past few years between my nieces and my friend's kids and can happily say none of the kids I interact with have this issue but the parents in question also have half a brain in their heads. How much time a day would an infant need to spend with an iPad or whatever to accomplish this?! It boggles the mind!

I've looked over quite a few studies about toddlers and kids under the age of 10 and how much tech time they spend, and the repercussions of it. I feel like alot of parents view that tablet or phone as a babysitter, or a pacifier. You're child is acting up, so you give them your tablet or phone to shut them up. NO, and NO. Be a freakin parent, and see what is wrong with your child or what they need.

Alot of Hip Hop artists do put messages in there songs take Kendrick Lamar for an example,im not sure if youve heard of him but he is THE best atm.It seems to me you just heard the shitty mainstream rap.You should listen to Schoolboy Q,Kendrick Lamar,J.Cole,A$AP Rocky just to name a few.