How to re-size avatars (Guide/Tutorial)

Beardy

This little guide will explain how to re-size avatars in Photoshop. Let me start by first saying that this is by no means the only way you can go about re-sizing your desired avatar/avatars, but do know that this way will more than likely give you the best result. I hope this guide will at least help a few people out. If anything though, this guide is for beginners looking to get into GFX making, specifically avatar making. So, lets get started.

First, I would like to thank Clique. I learned this method from him. Also, godflow for the sizing idea. He may not have been the originator of the sizing idea, but it's who I saw it from first.

Step 1. Find your desired image. Since this is a wrestling forum based around WWE for the most part, you'll find the best WWE stocks/images on WWE.com or sometimes you can get lucky and find some good ones on Google Images. 

Step 2. At this point, you should already have Photoshop open. What you want to do next is go to File - New. This should open up the options to change your width and height. Next, you want to edit the width and make it 154, then go ahead and edit the height and make it 364. Also, make sure to the right of width and height it says Pixels. And to the right of resolution it says Pixels/Inch. You should now have a white 154x364 rectangle that looks like this.

Screenshot27_zps2720300a.png

Step 3. Copy and paste your image into Photoshop. I think this is pretty self explanatory. Go back to your browser, right click - Copy Image, go back into Photoshop, go to Edit - Paste. Now, your image has filled what was a 154x364 white rectangle.

Step 4. What you want to do next is press CTRL T or go to Edit - Free Transform. You should now see a box of sorts pop up with little squares in each corner and on each side. If you don't know what I'm talking about, look at the image below.

Screenshot-26_zpscb047ce8.png

Step 5. Click, hold, and drag. Now, what you want to do is hover over a corner square until you see a diagonal arrow come up. Click and hold one of the corner squares as shown above and below, like the one I pointed at in the images above and below for example. It has to be one of the corner ones, otherwise it will not turn out right. Now, HOLD Shift and drag the square in a diagonal way, basically down to the opposite corner. Make sure you're holding shift the entire time. Now, you're re-sizing your image. At this point, its up to you what looks best. Just continue to drag while holding shift until you have something that looks good. (NOTE: If you need to let go of Shift during this process to maybe move the image so you can see where you're at, do so, but STOP dragging the square down.) Once you want to start dragging again, HOLD Shift again, and begin dragging the square down once again.

Screenshot-28_zps539102a9.png

As I said above, at this point it's up to you to decide what looks best as far as the proportions go. Do know you should never worry about getting the entire image in, just the important part of it. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO CUT THINGS OUT. Of course, not all images look great when things are cut out, such as body parts, but for the most part, they should look fine. If you try to fit every little thing in the image into the little square shown above, chances are it's not going to look good. BUT, what looks good to me and what looks good to you more than likely isn't the same, it's completely up to you. I hope this wasn't too confusing and I hope this helps the new and maybe some already experienced GFXers. If you have any questions at all, don't be afraid to ask me or maybe some of our many other experienced GFXers. Enjoy present and future avatar makers! :)

- Beardy™

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Can somebody help me on downloading the photoshop you have? I've downloaded one Photoshop but its weird and crashes all the time. Help pls.

Try downloading the latest (2014) Photoshop CC from Adobe then replacing the amtlib.dll file with a cracked version, make sure the cracked amtlib is for "Photoshop CC 2014"

Can somebody help me on downloading the photoshop you have? I've downloaded one Photoshop but its weird and crashes all the time. Help pls.

I have CS5, works fine.

Thanks mate, where did you download it? Can't find a CS5 that works in Windows7

Try downloading the latest (2014) Photoshop CC from Adobe then replacing the amtlib.dll file with a cracked version, make sure the cracked amtlib is for "Photoshop CC 2014"

Didn't understand anything, could you explain it better?

Didn't understand anything, could you explain it better?

Pmed you.