• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Smacktalks

Smacktalks

Smacktalker!

• 23,650 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:00 AM

:2

A U.S. Department of Homeland Security enforcement agent posed as a WWE representative last week and offered to buy various domain names from a Michigan man named Yonjo Quiroa. In reality, the agent was part of an operation to take down 16 websites owned by Quiroa, who is also known as Ronaldo Solano, that linked to other websites that hosted pirated telecasts.

Reuters reported today that Quiroa, 28, was making at least $13,000 from online merchants who advertised with him. His websites linked to other sites that hosted pirated telecasts from the NFL, NBA, NHL, WWE and TNA Impact Wrestling.

The seized websites are firstrow.tv, firstrowsports.com, firstrowsports.net, firstrowsports.tv, hq-streams.tv, robplay.tv, soccertvlive.net, sports95.com, sports95.net, sports95.org, sportswwe.net, sportswwe.tv, sportswwe.com, xonesports.tv, youwwe.com and youwwe.net.

#2 ALL STAR

ALL STAR

Main Eventer

• 4,592 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:56 AM

If WWE offered a better online service for watching live shows online then there would be less people watching streams.

#3 Strum la Frantique

Strum la Frantique

Loyal Member

• 7,963 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:45 AM

Free live streaming of tv shows simulcast with the actual TV airing is pretty much unheard of. Plus USA Network pays a lot of money to WWE for the rights to broadcast WWE Raw, which they recoup through advertising sales, this is how tv works. If you could go on the internet a watch it at the same time, then the money WWE can demand for broadcast rights is severly diminished.

Hence why you can only online get live PPV's, because they don't have a broadcaster, just essentially resellers.

Obviously USA doesn't allow WWE to stream the episodes after the air date, but SyFy allows them to stream SmackDown. Or it was dictated by WWE in the SyFy contract. Different broadcasters, different rules. Still those streams are only for US residents only (standard practice as international broadcast rights come into play).

So no, don't bag WWE for a poor streaming service. The fact that they do stream 3 of their 4 shows, and are now producing original content for youtube, shows that they are actually taking streaming pretty seriously. If you want WWE Raw streamed in the UK, your beef is with the local broadcaster (Sky Sports?), it's up to them to broker a deal with WWE to stream it on their own Sky streaming service.

#4 ALL STAR

ALL STAR

Main Eventer

• 4,592 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

I was more on about the PPV's, I actually wanted to purchase the Royal Rumble PPV online but when I went through to the page all I got was the message, not available in your area. I just wish TV companies would embrace the internent on a much larger scale because the market is changing, so it's only a matter of time till they are forced to change their buisness model.

#5 Strum la Frantique

Strum la Frantique

Loyal Member

• 7,963 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

Your PPV provider obviously pays for exclusive rights in your country. It's not WWE's fault, trust me, they want your money, especially for PPV buys.

Have you seen TV executives? They are all old, and yes they believe in a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" model. But yes On Demand viewing, and live streaming is the future, and TV is moving a glacial speed to accept and implement change. The cable providers that do offer an On Demand service, overcharge crazy amounts for the service per episode. I solely download shows, I don't watch TV, I understand. Once again though, your problem is not with WWE, they are just the producer of the content, they do not air it. If you want live streaming, because you don't have cable or satellite, you will be shit out of a luck for a very very long time because there's a multi-million dollar deal stopping you accessing WWE streams.