Get Fucked Gaming Press

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jitz

jitz

Loyal Member

• 8,379 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:17 PM

In part two of the "Get Fucked" unplanned series the gaming press shows their ugly head and make complete fucking arses of themselves. Granted that's usually a daily occurence as the "gaming press" tends to be 14 year olds rewriting news articles from the one actual journalist in the entire industry.

To quote the IGN article, but it can literally be found on every site as gaming news is slow...

Following news that the next Xbox will be six times as powerful as the current model, new reports reveal how the Xbox 360's successor will handle disc content.
Games industry sources have told Kotaku that Microsoft will be making the transition to Blu-Ray technology with the new console, increasing the storage space by at least double the amount found on DVDs.

Sony has been utilizing Blu-Ray discs for gaming since the introduction of the PlayStation 3. Single layer Blu-Ray discs hold 25 GB of data, with dual-layer discs managing 50 GB.

Ignoring the six times more powerful comment, as that's just vague nonsense. The new X-Box will feature a fucking Blu Ray drive. OH FUCKING REALLY!?

That's not news, common sense could tell you at the HD-DVD's demise, that the new X Box would feature Blu Ray. You know how many millions Sony spent researching that shit? Microsoft isn't going to dump that kind of cash, and years of development, into unnecessary research for yet another high density media disc.

You don't have news, don't update your website.

#2 ALL STAR

ALL STAR

Main Eventer

• 4,593 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:21 AM

Well IGN isn't exactly known for quality articles, still rumours like this just remind me of the PS3 hype before it was annouced.

#3 Professor of Wrestling

Professor of Wrestling

Nut Slappin With Joe =/ In 2013 4-LIFE!

• 223 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:02 AM

First off, considering the 360 came out in 2005 and the new console won't be out until 2013 at the earliest, is it really so hard to believe the new console couldn't be 6 times more powerful? Think about where computers were in 2005. Most of them came with around 1-2 gigs of RAM if you were lucky. 4-8gigs is standard issue for most 2012 computers. The 360 has 512MB. A newer console would realisically 'have' to have significantly more memory, so 6 times more powerful there would translate to 3GB, which is up to current specs. Sure, processing speed (just physical) hasn't evolved much since then, but you have to think back to the technology in computers in 2005. Dual-core processors were still considered high-end products. Now, I'm not even sure what they have. I think the 360 is running on a single core, but I'm not sure. If that's the case, though, I do know that there are 6 core processors out right now. It's 'really' not hard to believe that the next Xbox won't be atleast 6 times more powerful than the 360. This isn't the 80s-2000s. We're not just doubling our bit output anymore.

That said, I also heard that Microsoft was planning some sort of anti-pirating system with their next system, which would prevent people from playing "used" games on the system. Basically you would have to buy a game you want to play and keep it forever. Basically reducing the value to nothing once you've played the game. I'm not sure how they would pull that off, but it's not a very smart move on their part. Some sort of on-disc DRM registration, maybe? That's the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard of if that's what they're doing. It would effectively kill all gaming rental stores and sites and severely cripple the big game retailers like GameStop, Game, etc., since they make most of their profit from used game sales. This is something my friends read from an online gaming news site, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

Edited by Professor of Wrestling, 29 January 2012 - 05:03 AM.

#4 Fozy

Fozy

Smacktalker!

• 13,584 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

oh, steve.

#5 Smacktalks

Smacktalks

Smacktalker!

• 24,292 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:32 PM

The rental killer story made most of the gaming websites but I cant see that happening, it's a big reason for people not to buy the new console as it's gonna cost them more buying all games for it as new. If anything it'll push gamers to look to buying Sony's next console.

As for how they'd pull it off if they did do it, I read some stuff about them only releasing games on demand, but again your limiting your market by going down that route.

#6 Aero

Aero

Life's A Pisser When European

• 18,101 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:20 PM

i heard a similar rumour about the ps3 many moons ago, it'll never happen

#7 Professor of Wrestling

Professor of Wrestling

• 223 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

oh, steve.

What was that bit for, Iain? The first part of my post was theoretical and the second part is actually being posting on the rumor sites. I just did a quick Google search for this one, posted 3 days ago, so you don't think I just pulled that out of my ass.

http://xbox360.ign.c.../1217257p1.html

#8 Smacktalks

Smacktalks

Smacktalker!

• 24,292 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:44 PM

Reading that link, it mentions the online pass for LA Noire, was that required to play the full game? or just some online part? That's the first i've heard of a current game having an online pass thats not just for online multiplayer.

#9 Aero

Aero

Life's A Pisser When European

• 18,101 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:45 PM

just the online part.

#10 jitz

jitz

Loyal Member

• 8,379 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:12 AM

First off, considering the 360 came out in 2005 and the new console won't be out until 2013 at the earliest, is it really so hard to believe the new console couldn't be 6 times more powerful? Think about where computers were in 2005. Most of them came with around 1-2 gigs of RAM if you were lucky. 4-8gigs is standard issue for most 2012 computers. The 360 has 512MB. A newer console would realisically 'have' to have significantly more memory, so 6 times more powerful there would translate to 3GB, which is up to current specs. Sure, processing speed (just physical) hasn't evolved much since then, but you have to think back to the technology in computers in 2005. Dual-core processors were still considered high-end products. Now, I'm not even sure what they have. I think the 360 is running on a single core, but I'm not sure. If that's the case, though, I do know that there are 6 core processors out right now. It's 'really' not hard to believe that the next Xbox won't be atleast 6 times more powerful than the 360. This isn't the 80s-2000s. We're not just doubling our bit output anymore.

Yes, and all those numbers are vague nonsense. What "six times more powerful" actually means in a real world gaming context is completely different than consoles having twice or three times as much RAM. Your games will not run and look six times better, despite the numbers telling you otherwise. Anyone can throw numbers around, but they are just that, numbers. They are vague nonsense, especially when you take into account different RAM and CPU architectures.

The rental thing is starting to take off, it's like this whole non-existing console has become the lightning rod for news stories, and recycled ones at that. Neither Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo will kill second hand sales, they rely on GameStop and similar stores too much to take away their main revenue source. Who will sell the console? Not retailers that rely on used games sales.

As for digital only, the world isn't at the stage yet where it's a feasible path. Consoles are sold worldwide, the worldwide market is bigger than the American market. Forcing online only would cut too many countries out. Sony made the experiment with the PSP, and they said it failed and has made them rethink that strategy.

So in conclusion, at E3 Microsoft will show a sizzle reel of demos that won't really show what to expect at all until playable demonstrations surface later down the track. It will have a blu ray drive. And used games sales will be just fine.

Take your knives out guys and cut through the bullshit.

#11 Professor of Wrestling

Professor of Wrestling

• 223 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:48 AM

LA Noire didn't have any kind of multiplayer, guys. Their season pass was just a cheaper way to buy all the DLC content.

#12 jitz

jitz

Loyal Member

• 8,379 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

The soon to be released Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (stupid name, good looking game) is also going to have an online pass despite being a solely single player game. It just allows access to day one DLC, the scourge of the fucking videogame industry. Simplest way to not accept this shit is to not buy it. You're paying for shit that should have been in the game to begin with, make a stand against it.