35 Characters Revealed For WrestleMania Video Game

Smacktalks

WWE has plans to release WWE Legends of WrestleMania, a video game based on legends and alumni who have appeared at WrestleMania in the 1980s and 1990s. It will be released in March 2009 to coincide with WrestleMania XXV.

An updated list of characters for the upcoming Legends of Wrestlemania has been released -- 35 in all. The list of characters are as follows:

Hulk Hogan

Andre the Giant

The Rock

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin

Undertaker

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Shawn Michaels

Ric Flair

Bret "The Hitman" Hart

Jerry "The King" Lawler

Ultimate Warrior

"Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase

Mr. Perfect

Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake

Yokozuna

Haku

Jake "The Snake" Roberts

"Ravishing" Rick Rude

"British Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith

Bobby "The Brain" Heenan

Jim Ross

Sgt. Slaughter

Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat

"Mean" Gene Okerlund

Honky Tonk Man

Earthquake

Iron Sheik

Legion of Doom

"Mouth of the South" Jimmy Hart

Gorilla Monsoon

Mr. Fuji

Tito Santana

Joey Marella (as referee)

Virgil

Howard Finkel

Perhaps the biggest omission from the video is that of "Macho Man" Randy Savage, who competed at eight WrestleMania events in all and left the pay-per-view spectacular with the WWF Championship belt on two occasions. Another huge name that won't be featured in the game is Mick Foley, whose WWE contract expiration coincided with the deadline for characters to be featured in the video game.

It was reported back in September that Vince McMahon made the decision to pull Foley from the video game as a result of their personal fallout. He also made the decision to ban Randy Savage from the video game for reasons unknown.

The October 2008 issue of Power Slam had a note on the two legends' video game omissions in their "This Month In McMahon" column, which details the wacky behind-the-scenes exploits of the McMahons -- more specifically, Vince McMahon's unpredictable behavior. They wrote:

September 3: Mick Foley and his agent announce that Foley has signed with TNA. The rumour backstage is that Triple H's condescending treatment of Foley -- arising, allegedly, from Levesque's insecurity over the instrumental role their 1999-2000 matches played in making him a headliner -- is partly to blame for Foley's decision to leave.

In retaliation, Vince pulls Foley from the upcoming Legends of WrestleMania videogame and, furthermore, orders Randy Savage banned from the game as well -- rekindling decade-old rumours about some too-unpleasant-to-be-named scandal involving the McMahons and Savage in the 1990s.

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

What's the total supposed to be? 40?

Who would you guys pick as the last 5 (excluding foley & savage)?

Mine would be:

- Owen Hart

- Sycho Sid

- Vader

- Deisel

- Razor Ramon

Not saying i like them all, but they were all in fairly to very important WM matches. I'm also not including people who can be imported from SVR 2009 (like Triple H, Kane, Orton, Edge, Cena). I've heard rumblings from other boards saying that WM 15ish is the cutoff for the roster, otherwise i would have added a Kurt Angle, Eddie Guererro, etc.

just looking over the list...it's actually 36 people as it has Legion of Doom listed instead of Hawk AND Animal.

So if i had to only pick 4 out of my 5 picks above, i'd remove vader.

In terms of other Superstars that aren't currently with TNA, etc. I'd go with..

1. Eddie Guererro

2. Owen Hart

3. Big Bossman (I think he had a HIAC with Taker at one WM)

4. Dusty Rhodes

5. Jimmy Snuka

As a long shot, i'd go with Mike Tyson or Mr. T!

Haku's inclusion = Win. However, Virgil was nothing more but a jobber so his inclusion is rather weak.

I would pick for 1 of mine Chris beniot.. He my nat be legent But hes dead Should put him in there i think if he was in the game it would beat Svr 09

benoit will NEVER be in another wrestling game again. nuff said.

also, in my opinion there is no way this game will beat (in sales, if thats what you mean) SVR 09. there is such a loyal following for the smackdown series, and considering that this will have a more arcade-y feel to it i dont think it will get good reviews (and therefore wont sell well). i could of course be wrong.

on the other side, i have a lot of friends who used to live and die wrestlers such as austin, rock, hogan, warrior, hart, hbk and couldn't care less about the current scene. i could potentially see those kind of people buying LOWM over SVR.

i was kinda hoping for a more unique roster in all honesty...this just feel like recycled legends from the smackdown series. lets look at how many of these ppl have been in a SD game before:

Hulk Hogan (SYM, 06, 07)

Andre the Giant (SVR, 06)

The Rock (every SD except 09)

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin (every SD except first SVR and 09)

Undertaker (every SD)

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper (HCTP, SVR, 07, 08)

Shawn Michaels (every SD except SD1, and JBI)

Ric Flair (SYM, HCTP, SVR, 06, 07, 08, 09)

Bret "The Hitman" Hart (SVR, 06, 07, 08)

Jerry "The King" Lawler (playable in 07 w/o cheat devise, voice in most games)

Ultimate Warrior

"Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase (HCTP, 06)

Mr. Perfect (07)

Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake (SVR)

Yokozuna

Haku

Jake "The Snake" Roberts (06)

"Ravishing" Rick Rude (08)

"British Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith (06)

Bobby "The Brain" Heenan

Jim Ross (commentator in all games)

Sgt. Slaughter (HCTP, 08 on psp)

Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat

"Mean" Gene Okerlund

Honky Tonk Man

Earthquake

Iron Sheik (HCTP)

Legion of Doom (HCTP, SVR)

"Mouth of the South" Jimmy Hart (06)

Gorilla Monsoon

Mr. Fuji

Tito Santana

Joey Marella

Virgil

Howard Finkel (ring announcer for earlier SD games)

that's only 13 new personalities out of 36 people from thq.

Edited by XxTool7723xX

I would be all for new Legends in the game but if alot of those Wrestlers weren't in the game then there would be other people asking why they weren't included in the game.

Also since its Legends of Wrestlemania it makes sence for them to be in it.

I just hope that the Guys who are in the game that are in SvR 09 have different attire witch i would imagine so and plus i hope that you can import LOWM Legends into SvR09 aswell. If so it would make sence as to why they have over 55 No Model Slots this year in SvR09.

im too lazy to research this, but did they all have important matches at wrestlemania 1-15? if not thats why they aint in for a start

Mo and Mabel? Men on a Mission? Multiple times tag team champions. Competed at Wrestlemania 10 angainst the Quebecers (also multiple time tag champions I believe) Jacque Rugeau and Pierre Lafitte or some such crazyness...with their manager, Johnny Polo (Raven).

Doink the Clown...just because he's not been covered in gold all of his career doesn't mean he isn't a legend.

Razor Ramon? Mania 10 also, with Shawn Michaels in a ladder match for the IC title..and numerous other wonderful IC title matches.

hahaha fair enough, good call, i'd like all those dudes in it.

and Tool, this game isnt trying to COMPETE with SvR, its from the same people, its them trying to make some extra cash.

hahaha aye, sure they should put all the wrestlers who have died in a game, that would be.... shit!

Naturally. Who wouldn't give their right arm to play as Louis Spicolli or Bobby Duncum Jr.? Now, I'm not dissing those guys, but I hardly consider them to be "Legends" (as the term is used nowadays), they are simply professional wrestlers who died far too early...but neither of them really made a huge impact on how the wrestling business is nowadays. Bobby Duncum Jr. is remembered vaguely at best for his role in the West Texas Rednecks in WCW with Curt Hennig while Spicolli would probably be best remembered for his time in ECW and MAYBE his stint in WCW.....but honestly, being dead shouldn't be a pre-requisite to be in a wrestling game about Legends lol. Besides....maybe its just me..but I HATE wrestling against dead characters on wrestling games, because I feel bad for whipping their asses..makes me feel guilty lol.

I would like to see :

Demolition

Marty Jannetty (w/ Shawn having a rockers alt)

Diesel

Razor Ramon

Hercules

Dino Bravo (you have Earthquake and Jimmy Hart, so why not?)

Akeem

Big Boss Man

Sycho Sid

The Nasty Boys

Jesse Ventura (commentator obviously since he never wrestled at a WM)

HEEL Sgt. Slaughter with General Adnan....not the typical Slaughter we've had in previous games

The Powers of Pain

well I can hope

hahaha fair enough, good call, i'd like all those dudes in it.

and Tool, this game isnt trying to COMPETE with SvR, its from the same people, its them trying to make some extra cash.

hahaha aye, sure they should put all the wrestlers who have died in a game, that would be.... shit!

i'm well aware it's from thq as well.

i was responding to croft's post about whether this game would "beat" svr if it had benoit. i was simply stating that if he meant "beat" to = "outsell" then i disagreed with his statement.

I find it interesting that no one has mentioned Macho Man.....lol. This is the only reason I'm not buying this game. Macho Man was in 8 Wrestlemanias and they're refusing to acknowledge his existence :(. I know that Mach and Vince had issues with each other, but....COME ON! How the fuck is Virgil a legend of Wrestlemania? Anyways, here's my top 5.

1. Macho Man

2. Psycho Sid

3. Tatanka

4. Bam Bam

5. Mr. T

Edited by Professor of Wrestling

Whoops, my bad. I didn't read all of Paul's post. But I stand by what I said! By them not putting Macho in the game, it's not going to be making my game collection.

Edited by Professor of Wrestling

Oh ffs, I just noticed something else. How come they're using Earthquake and not Typhoon? The Natural Disasters were one of my fav tag teams of the 80s :(

Marty Jannetty (w/ Shawn having a rockers alt)

I'd like to see Shawn with a Rockers attire aswell.

As for the dead wrestlers in the game, I guess it's also down to the fact that nobody's really going to want to stop WWE putting them in a game. Besides, I'm sure there families would love to see them in a WWE game.

Also, there's something weird with the roster I thought was worth pointing out. Ricky Steamboat doesn't own the rights to his name or likeness. His ex-wife won them as part of their divorce settlement. What's funny about this is that last year, she refused to let Ricky be inducted in to the Hall of Fame, but she'll let them put him in a video game? wtf?