• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Smacktalks

Smacktalks

Smacktalker!

• 24,108 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPk3o3LYrHs

UFC President Dana White took to the stage at EA's Press Conference today at E3 to announce that the UFC videogame license has been transfered to EA Sports.

The license was held by THQ but was transfered to EA Sports after an agreement was reached with all three parties and an undisclosed cash payment was made to THQ.

EA Sports now has the right to publish videogames based on the Ultimate Fighting Championship® (UFC®) brand, effective today. THQ will continue to publish its existing console and mobile titles through March 31, 2013.

Dana White thanked THQ for the best-in-class UFC Undisputed series:

"Over the last three years, THQ has delivered best-in-class, all-encompassing experiences to MMA fans, sports enthusiasts and fighting gamers around the globe with its UFC Undisputed series. We want to thank them for their stewardship of our brand, We look forward to joining forces with EA to leverage their sports platform, and expand our brand in the video game space."

Brian Farrell, THQ's Chairman and CEO, commented:

"We have relished our relationship with UFC over the last several years and believe that the UFC gaming brand is in great shape. THQ's more focused strategy moving forward meant that transferring the license to EA made sense to all parties. We would like to thank UFC for their great support and partnership and wish EA all the best moving forward."

Source: Smacktalks.org

#2 Deleted Member

Deleted Member

This member was deleted on request.

• PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:26 PM

I think EA Sports will continue to achieve great games with the edition of UFC and from a THQ point of View maybe this changing of the gaming production here will be just the kind of move that helps THQ refocus it's attention on games that lack like the WWE gaming as they really got hammered by how bad certain thing were between SVR 11 to WWE12 and a few others as well.

#3 Smacktalks

Smacktalks

Smacktalker!

• 24,108 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:56 PM

Yeah, I think it's a smart move from THQ. If you think about it the UFC Undisputed games release every 2 years, so given the current financial problems THQ would have to continue payign to produce Undisputed 4 and wouldnt recieve a penny from sales of it until 2014. At least this way THQ can make money back from the license, save money from the development costs and focus more on the games they have planned for the near future.

#4 theblackhart1017

theblackhart1017

Jobber

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:34 AM

i'm fine with this as long as the undisputed games don't end up like the EA MMA game. i thought that game was terrible. good roster but just a terrible game overall.

#5 Smacktalks

Smacktalks

Smacktalker!

• 24,108 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:32 AM

Well THQ have said they'll try and find employment within EA for some of the team that worked on Undisputed, so hopefully they'll be able to put together something new for the UFC game and it wont just be EA MMA under the UFC banner.

#6 Strum la Frantique

Strum la Frantique

Loyal Member

• 8,205 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

i'm fine with this as long as the undisputed games don't end up like the EA MMA game.

It won't be "Undisputed" games, that was THQ's line of UFC games. THQ still owns that engine, EA will use their existing Fight Night engine that powered MMA, or build a new one.