E3 2012 Discussion

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Smacktalks

Smacktalks

Smacktalker!

• 24,169 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:53 PM

E3 begins tomorrow and there's already some announcements, trailers, etc. been shown online, including this...

Posted Image

Nintendo announced a WiiU Pro Controller.

It's good to see Nintendo releasing a proper controller for regular games that wont use the tablet styled WiiU controller.

#2 Smacktalks

Smacktalks

Smacktalker!

• 24,169 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

I'm liking the look of Xbox Smart Glass, Microsoft's answer to the WiiU. The idea to have it on existing devices like the iPhone, iPad, etc. is much better than having an expensive dedicated controller for it.

#3 ALL STAR

ALL STAR

Main Eventer

• 4,593 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:10 PM

The smart glass is a neat idea though I don't think it would be something I would actually use. Another thing from the Microsoft conference RE 6 looked awful in comparison to the other games shown.

Halo 4 looks awesome both visually and from the pure gameplay. Splinter Cell: Blacklist look phenomenal, seems like a blend between Chaos Theory and Conviction with the Assassin's Creed Animation tech.

#4 Smacktalks

Smacktalks

Smacktalker!

• 24,169 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

I thought that too about RE 6, but the video stream on Xbox Live wasnt the best quality so i'm hoping it looks better when I see the footage in HD.

Here's the FIFA 13 gameplay trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia43OgdBHaE

I like the addition of using Kinect to change formations, etc. I just hope the voice recognition works well and I dont end up using up substitutions to bring on / replace the wrong player.

The tactical free kicks is the other thing i'm looking forward to, as I usually end up taking short free kicks when someone puts a player on the line, so this should open up some good options.

Overall I dont think the Microsoft Conference was that great, i'd have liked to see them announce some new games that werent just Halo, COD, etc.

Sony's Conference doesnt start until 2am here so I think i'll just have an early night and watch that in the morning as i'm not really expecting much from it.

Nintendo's is the one i'm most looking forward to, i'm hoping they announce a good list of WiiU launch titles and reveal a good new Xbox Live style online platform, as if they dont get the online part right I think the console is doomed.

#5 Aero

Aero

Life's A Pisser When European

• 17,766 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

the wiiU sounds like a dead duck already to be honest, spec wise its shit really, esp when next year we'll be seeing ps4 and xbox3 most likely

#6 Aero

Aero

Life's A Pisser When European

• 17,766 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:59 PM

i retract slightly... batman with the touch screen looks clever... and they have manipulated the levels to make the different... or atleast the path to wondercity is different... i'd consider getting that even tho i've beat the game a few times already.

#7 Smacktalks

Smacktalks

Smacktalker!

• 24,169 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

I was hoping for a new Zelda for launch after the tech demo they showed last year, but overall Nintendo's conference (and the others really) seemed pretty poor compared to other years.

Arkham City looked quite good in the way it utilised the WiiU controller but i've already finished the game on 360, so i'm not exactly gonna rush out and buy it for the novelty of the controller.

Mario Bros 2 on the WiiU looked ok, but i'd have prefered a 3D Mario to show off what the WiiU was capable of. Overall it just looks to still be heavily focused on the younger, family market tho which puts me off it.

ZombiU was the only trailer that stood out for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPHPd1EP_c8

#8 ALL STAR

ALL STAR

Main Eventer

• 4,593 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:45 PM

I didn't really like anything Nintendo showed other than the 3DS montage.Nintendo didn't sell me on the Wii U at all, most of the games are already out and I can play them on a 360 or a PS3 and the controller doesn't seem to add anything spectacular that changes the game.

Also visually it hardly looks like an improvement over the 360 and PS3, so when you consider the fact games like Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313 look amazing compared to anything that is currently out. Add to that the games are trying to move the genre forward, all I see from Nintendo is the same old shit. It just seems like it will be the Wii all over again, it will get 360 ports for a year but as soon as the new xbox and playstation are annouced that will stop.

#9 jitz

jitz

Loyal Member

• 8,282 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

Arkham City looked quite good in the way it utilised the WiiU controller but i've already finished the game on 360, so i'm not exactly gonna rush out and buy it for the novelty of the controller.

I know it's not the best comparison but one of the best games ever made, Resident Evil 4 Wii, was a port released years after everyone had already finished numerous times.

Pretty bland show, but Nintendo doesn't do console hype, and the console looks pretty shit anyway. I don't think they can fool everyone twice. No Metroid, who the fuck runs this company? Just let Retro Studios make Metroids for the rest of their lives. Can't remember anything from the Microsoft show. New Gears by a different dev, that's ok Gears is inoffensive and rather enjoyable. Halo can get fucked. Oh That Far Cry demo looked awful, there was just shit going everywhere. Sony had Beyond and The Last of Us, they seem rather cool. Assassin's Creed 3 looks really nice. Anyone remember the Wii Vitality Sensor? Fuck Nintendo.

#10 ALL STAR

ALL STAR

Main Eventer

• 4,593 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:58 PM

One thing I just don't understand about the Wii U is this push that there is some kind of war for the TV. When you add in to the fact Nintendo are admitment that this is a social console, but sitting away playing a game while someone watches TV etc seems anti social to me.

It was the same with the Microsoft conference, they insist on developing and promoting features on their consoles for scenarios that no one asked for or would use.

#11 Smacktalks

Smacktalks

Smacktalker!

• 24,169 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:49 PM

The fight for the TV is outdated, most people have TV's in the majority of rooms these days, even multiple consoles.

Initially I liked the idea of playing on the controller, but it's only gonna work well on some games. I could even see Microsoft using Smart Glass to display the 360 screen on iOS devices, etc. to rival it, although the downside would be not having physical controls.

#12 jitz

jitz

Loyal Member

• 8,282 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:33 AM

I don't understand why third party publishers support Microsoft so much, Microsoft clearly want people to play less games and buy more traditional forms of entertainment in TV, film and music. I understand the appeal of an "it does everything" console, but it only does everything in one room, and a gamer is usually going to be using that "it does everything" console to play games. By incorporating these features into a games console, it means you have to justify using your XBox to actually play games, and not watch a movie with the girlfriend.

Microsoft is slowly incorporating features into their console, that are more rapidly being introduced into the actual TV itself. You girlfriend can download a movie using the TV, you can use your XBox to play a game in another room.