Did anyone get the PS Vita?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Smacktalks

Smacktalks

Smacktalker!

• 24,116 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

I didnt realise it was released today until I just got an email about it, did anyone get one?

#2 Aero

Aero

Life's A Pisser When European

• 17,644 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:28 PM

nearly got one, but waiting on a bill from the mechanic so holding off... hoping theres a price drop after xmas haha.

#3 ALL STAR

ALL STAR

Main Eventer

• 4,593 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

Nope, but every time I've been in GAME recently they have been begging me to pre order even when I was picking up a 3DS they wanted me to pre order a Vita.

I just don't see much point, my PSP has been in a draw somewhere for the past few years and the Vita would end up the same way. Plus the fact there isn't anything on the horizon that makes me want to get a Vita it is just filled with console ports.

I thought it was telling that when I was in GAME today they had a Vita setup that people could play and no one was bothered by it. I remember when the original DS and the 3DS came out people wanted to try it out but hardly anyone seems to give a shit about the Vita.

Edited by ALL STAR, 22 February 2012 - 08:37 PM.

#4 Strum la Frantique

Strum la Frantique

Loyal Member

• 8,208 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:14 AM

I don't understand the point of either the 3DS or Vita. Handheld gaming has evolved past dedicated devices. That and development costs are raising handheld game prices pretty much to the level of full console releases.

#5 Fozy

Fozy

Smacktalker!

• 13,333 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

Who plays games on the move? I don't understand it, fair play if you're on a plane everyday, other than that, what? People usually buy them and play them inside, fuck is wrong with everyone?

#6 Aero

Aero

• 17,644 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

handheld exclusives is the answer to that.

#7 Smacktalks

Smacktalks

Smacktalker!

• 24,116 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

Like Chris said, it's evolved past the stage of having a dedicated device now. If i'm on a train, etc. then i'll usually use my iPhone to listen to music and if I want to, I can play a game on it without the need to carry along an extra device incase I want to play a game.

When it comes to playing them in the house, I wouldnt go out and buy a handheld for that purpose as i'd rarely use it, but I do like the idea of the WiiU having a handheld option. Sure it's not something i'd use much, but for no extra cost it'll be a nice addition for using outside in the summer, etc.

#8 Strum la Frantique

Strum la Frantique

Loyal Member

• 8,208 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:02 AM

I absolutely agree with you Aero, handheld exclusives are the only way dedicated handheld devices will still be around in another 5 years. But even those aren't taken 100% seriously. Take Uncharted Golden Abyss, the only reason right now to own a Vita. I haven't played it, but from what I've read it doesn't hold a candle to the console Uncharted's, but is very good for a portable game. So already we have to make some concessions for it being portable. It's not even developed by Naughty Dog, they have better shit to do than develop a game for the Vita. So even first party Sony developers realise Vita is the B League.

Resident Evil Revelations for 3DS, it's a spin off. It's the second Resident Evil spin off to take place on a cruise ship. Capcom are retreading ideas for their fucking portable games. Apparently it doesn't offer any revelations either, but why would it when everyone knows the main series is on consoles; everyone will play the console games, not everyone will play the portable ones. The PSP God of War games, neither were as good as the PS2 GoW games, weren't developed by Sony Santa Monica.

It's fucking B team shit, at near full price. Name me the last portable exclusive that hangs with console games as a truly great game. I can think of plenty that were "great for a portable game".

Right now the idea of an electronic device that goes into your pocket that doesn't have a phone is pretty absurd. In three years time it will be beyond ridiculous. Neither of these handheld devices have staying power.

EDIT - Plus the casual market now has zero interest in these things.

#9 ALL STAR

ALL STAR

Main Eventer

• 4,593 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

One of the obvious problems with the Vita is that it is marketed as a mutimedia device but most of the options outside of gaming are offered on a smart phone already and are usually much better on the phone.

I just don't understand what market the Vita is for, just seems like it is in limbo at the moment.

#10 Aero

Aero

• 17,644 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:15 PM

Paul - surely theres remote play with the vita.... meaning you can use your vita as a ps3 screen... who needs a wii-u?

chris.. atleast 3ds has new mario/mario kart etc now.. nintendos handheld exclusives are usually worth a shout.. zelda etc for example... sony cant really claim that tho but its rectifiable ... if uncharted is wank tho im sure president has been set.

#11 Chillalex

Chillalex

Steve French

• 5,512 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

I got one. Really like it, bought it after seeing some peoples' vita's at work.
Screen is amazing. Games are decent - finally rayman origins seems worthwhile - but time will tell.
As for the debate about handheld gaming? I wouldn't see it as anything different, personally. Just a different delivery platform. Yes, I sit on my couch and play both a vita or PS3, it's the same stuff either way, but so far (and as is the case with the 3DS) there's something that's a little more accessible to them than consoles. In terms of, it's not as intrusive to others in your household if you want to play them, etc, and they are more versed towards quicker spells and easier to put down.

On an even more personal note, I frequently spend some time at the in-laws house for weekends and I can't really lug my consoles with me. Or if I go to my parents, or if I just want to sit in bed and play something a little less intrusive.

Doubt this will convert anyone in this thread, but it's not meant to. I enjoy it, I'm happy with it and that's about it really.

But as a footnote only a fcking tool wanting to get jigged up would whip this out in public on a train or bus or something, it's mugger magnets. Which, if you see handheld gaming as strictly a portable affair, seems very counter-intuitive to make something that screams "steal me, and whilst you are at it kick this guy in the head a few times".

Edited by Chillalex, 24 February 2012 - 10:34 PM.

#12 Smacktalks

Smacktalks

Smacktalker!

• 24,116 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:35 PM

Dave, isnt that just for PSP / Vita games tho?

Alex's examples are exactly the kind of situations where handhelds are useful. If I was spending time at someone elses house I could see it as a viable option, but without that need I know I wouldnt really pick it up and play.

The other thing is the games. I dont think Uncharted is the kind of game I would want to play on a handheld, where as on the 3DS with Mario, that kind of game is easy to pick up and play at any time without needing to recall what was going on in the story when you left it, etc.

#13 Strum la Frantique

Strum la Frantique

Loyal Member

• 8,208 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:45 PM

If I was spending time at somebody else's house, I wouldn't be an unsociable wanker and play video games while I'm there...

The Wii has a very good Mario Kart game, if you're going to be sitting down playing your 3DS at home, I don't see the point in buying yet another one... unless you don't have a Wii, like you sold it, which at this point is very forgivable.

So I don't want this to turn out to be a long drawn out thing, where we just restate our same opinions over and over again. We all just like to play great games. I'm sure both handhelds will get a few of them. I just don't see either getting the market penetration needed to sustain a long term platform. Maybe not even enough to warrant those awesome, quirky, handheld games that come out when a publisher realises they can release anything on it and it will sell.

#14 Aero

Aero

• 17,644 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:09 AM

i'll reside myself to the fact that eventually i will get both a 3ds, and vita, play the exclusives, then gather dust.

...and paul, chillalex is the boy to ask, but no, im fairly sure it can play ps3 games too via your network/3g connection as its using the power of the ps3 and making the vita effectively just a tiny screen for it, same was as play tv allows for freeview viewing on the psp.

#15 CrossFan

CrossFan

Misery's Your Master

• PipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

I do plan on eventually getting the vita but right now with recently getting Amalur and soon ME3 (collector's edition) I'm a bit broke. Plus with exception of Uncharted nothing really intrigues me right now.

#16 Strum la Frantique

Strum la Frantique

Loyal Member

• 8,208 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:58 AM

Ahh CrossFan, you've reminded me to make a Mass Effect 3 topic. A happy place where we can cyber masturbate over the greatest series to come out of this generation of consoles.

#17 Chillalex

Chillalex

Steve French

• 5,512 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

If I was spending time at somebody else's house, I wouldn't be an unsociable wanker and play video games while I'm there...

The Wii has a very good Mario Kart game, if you're going to be sitting down playing your 3DS at home, I don't see the point in buying yet another one... unless you don't have a Wii, like you sold it, which at this point is very forgivable.

So I don't want this to turn out to be a long drawn out thing, where we just restate our same opinions over and over again. We all just like to play great games. I'm sure both handhelds will get a few of them. I just don't see either getting the market penetration needed to sustain a long term platform. Maybe not even enough to warrant those awesome, quirky, handheld games that come out when a publisher realises they can release anything on it and it will sell.

Yeah, there's no need to call me an "unsociable wanker". Although I wasn't aware you knew of everything that goes on when I travel. Good to know!

End of chat is that I enjoy it, it's no skin off my nose to have bought one and play it, so I don't see why I'm a wanker for that.
end of discussion

#18 Fozy

Fozy

Smacktalker!

• 13,333 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:33 PM

Vita Wanker!

#19 Strum la Frantique

Strum la Frantique

Loyal Member

• 8,208 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:39 AM

Well that's it, I do know of everything that happens when you travel...

On an even more personal note, I frequently spend some time at the in-laws house for weekends and I can't really lug my consoles with me. Or if I go to my parents, or if I just want to sit in bed and play something a little less intrusive.

Frequently at in-laws, can't bring consoles, play Vita. At parent's, just want to sit in bed and play Vita. A real social butterfly.